Chapter 31: it's just a little water

The following weeks went by in a blur, the story hit and the media storm was like nothing I’ve ever experienced. Sam had let me go alone and I shut off my phone as soon as I got on the plane.  After spending three days locked in a room at Mason’s house in Tahiti he called Riley and together they were able to get me to come out and get going again, I would spend my mornings on the beach with Riley and my evenings reading books on the porch that faced the ocean. They dragged me to dinner a couple of nights a week, but I always took a cab back when they suggested going dancing.  Riley even dragged me to town a couple of times claiming she wanted to get gifts for everyone, I had given in when she brought up Ethan. After a couple weeks she claimed she had to go back to California to check on something for the L.A. store that was set to open in a month and Mason informed me that we had to start the promotion tour for the movie, which meant weeks of interviews and appearances. We left the next morning for Sydney which would be our first stop. Sam and Mike were waiting for us at the airport when we arrived.

“You okay kid.” Sam asked as we drove to the hotel

“Just peachy.”

He started to say something and I pulled my iPod out of my purse, a clear indication that I did not want to talk about it. Mason and I left in separate cars for obvious reasons and Sam and I drove to the hotel in silence, I put on my head phones but didn’t turn on any music. Sam pulled up to the Valet and I was not surprised to see all the cameras this was the first time I would be seen in public since the news broke, there weren’t any paps in the small island where Mason had his house. Before Sam opened the door I pressed play on a song and turned the volume all the way up so I wouldn’t have to hear the questions. Unsurprisingly I still heard them, I slipped on my Aviators before I got out knowing I wouldn’t be able to keep my face neutral like I was supposed to, each question was like a dagger straight to my heart. And each flash was a twist to said dagger.

Charlie are you back with Mason?

Did your husband really cheat?

Are you filing for divorce before you and Mason make it official?

Should we expect to see more of the Golden Couple?

Why are you still wearing your rings?

That last one was like a punch straight in my gut. Sam caught on and kept a firm grip on my arm as we pushed through the doors to the lobby and headed to the elevators. I looked down at my hand, why had I kept them on? I was used to taking them on and off before, why was this any different? I twisted them with my finger as I contemplated pulling them off and tossing them in my bag, forgoing the necklace I still kept around my neck where I used to keep my engagement ring.

“You don’t have to take them off you know, it’s nobody’s business.”

I look at Sam and he offers a small smile.

“Thanks.” I whisper as the doors open on my floor.

I follow him to my room and then walk to my bedroom. When I open the door Toby barks and jumps around trying to get my attention, I bend down to lift him in my arms