Chapter 4/5: I'm not the one

I knocked on the door to the Smith household for the second time this week. Summer's grade has been improving over time, making me proud yet sad. She had been my first one-to-one student, and it makes me sad to think of leaving her. Her, as well as her family, (besides Rick) are lovely and welcoming people.

"U-uh, Y/N? You good?" A voice spoke. Morty.

"Oh, yes! Sorry, I was miles away there! How are you, Morty?" I asked, stepping into his home.

"I-I'm good. I guess. It's real quiet here, now. We barely see Rick anymore. Dunno whether that's good or bad.." He trailed off, scratching his neck.

"No Rick? What a relief," I laughs humourlessly,"where's he getting off to, then?" We sat down at the dining room table, our usual place. I set out my books, alining my notepad and pen neatly.

"He's been going to s-see his girlfriend. Her name is Unity. Summer and I have m-met her, b-but..." He hesitated,"I-I shouldn't really be telling you this. Aw, geez..."

"It's okay, Morty." I said gently. It was clearly troubling him. I had experience with counselling in the past, as well. Despite my looks, I'm a lot older than I seem. Mid fifties, and that's just being generous. A lady never tells her age.

"I-I don't think she's right for him, Y/N. He...he comes home drunk a lot more now. He drinks more, too. I-I get that he always did drink a lot, but now it's just alcoholism," His eyes began to look glossy. He balled his hands into fists and covered his eyes to stop the tears,"I'm worried about him. Unity isn't right for him. Next time you see him, could you talk to him? Please?" He looked back at me with red eyes, a few tears sliding down his cheeks.

"Why me?" I asked hesitantly.

"Because," Morty said,"I can tell he likes you. Maybe platonically, maybe not, but when he comes home drunk, he always asks about you, where you are. He also talks a lot about magnets and calls you his 'positive magnetic forcefield'?"

"Ha! Oh, wow. That is funny," I laughed, until I saw Morty's serious expression grow confused,"wait, he actually said that about me? Man...okay, fine. I will talk to him, but only for you. Okay, Morty?"

"Of course. Thank you, Y/N!"

-

Hours. I waited hours for Rick to return to the Smith household, only to be drunk out of his mind. Again.

"Woah, Y/N! What-what the f-fuck are you still do*burp*ing here? W-what, do you live here now or something? Ha! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! Yeah!" Rick exclaimed. Sighing, you helped him to his feet as he fell to the floor.

"Rick, I can't bare to see you like this. Neither can Morty. You know, he came crying to me today, to me. It hurts him. Please, just think about what you're doing." I put my arm under his and he put his arm on my shoulder. I began walking him to the garage, the only place I have seen him, other than the living room.

"You-you know. I was wrong about you. I originally thought you were a total bitch. B-but y'know? You're not bad. I-I get that love is just a chemical that causes animals to get horny or wha-whatever, but I think I'm willing to make an e-exception, Y/N. For you," Rick leaned in and I felt his lips on mine. It was a drunken act, he wasn't thinking straight. I couldn't kiss back.

"I'm sorry, Rick," I said, pushing him away gently,"I'm not the one for you."