Epilogue

Jun

I will always remember my mother being the most beautiful bride on earth. I grew up with the idea that one day, I will only marry the woman as beautiful as her. And today is definitely that day. I stared at her, eyes wide open as I look at her walking down the aisle beautifully.

Slowly, I reached for her and held her hand while her father smiled at us. And it gave me relief that they are happy for us. I wanted this. No, I needed this to happen in my life. And my parents may not be with me today. But I am still happy because I know they are happy for me. Wherever they are, I know that this is what they want to happen to me, too.

I saw a man outside the church, staring at us blankly. I do not know this man or why he is here, but I know he is up to no good. He pulled out a gun and pointed it at me. As he fired the gun, he laughed manically. Right there and then, I felt the weight of my beloved as she fell back. She took the bullet for me! She protected me!

"Michelle!" I screamed at the top of my lungs, and I felt a hand on my shoulder. I looked over and saw Grace.

"You're dreaming about her again." She said and kissed my forehead. "You called her name!"

"I did." I said and panted. "Michelle."

"What did you dream about?" She asked, curious eyes bore to mine.

"I was about to marry her, and she got shot." I said, not remembering everything.

"Is that all?" She inquired once more. I nodded. "Well, it's too late to go back to sleep. Let's eat breakfast." She smiled and I nodded.

Grace has been with me for more than 4 months. I don't remember what happened, but according to her, I met an accident and a bullet is stuck to my head. I can't be stressed, or try to remember too many things. But I want to remember. I want to know what happened to Michelle, the woman I always dream about. I want to remember her face, how she felt, how she smelled, and how she makes me feel when she smiles.

I know I am being selfish, but I wish I could remember more. I wish she is with me instead. And I hope she'd help me remember her. Did she die? Did she live? I don't know and I don't want to keep being in the dark. I want to remember. I felt a tear fall down. My head aches once more and I don't know what to do. I feel so stupid and helpless.

Maybe the best way to go about this is to end this. You know how they said God would answer one question before your judgement? I just want to know if she's okay. I want to know if she lived. If she did, maybe it would be all worth it. The pain, the end, just for her. It's all worth it.

I pulled out a gun I hid from Grace and pointed it on my head. This is stupid, but this is how I want to go. Before I could pull the trigger, I heard Grace yell and run towards me. She yanked the gun out of my hand and hugged me tight. I don't know what to do, but she... she made me feel safe and warm. Like she's protecting me from everything. Like she would do everything to make me feel safe.

"What are you doing?" She cried and held my hand.

"I wanted to know..." I said, like it was a stupid reason. "How is she?"

"Michelle?" She asked, I nodded. "She's... fine."

"Where is she?" I asked once more. I really want to know who she is in my life.

"Give me your hand." She said, and she placed it on her chest. "She is here."

I felt a scar on her chest. I slowly lowered her shirt, revealing a scar like it was operated a few months ago. Is she Michelle? Why did she hide this from me? Why didn't she just tell me she was Michelle in the first place? Why did she lead me to believe she is someone I didn't know? I just stared at her, not minding the pool of tears forming.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I finally asked, almost a whisper.

"I didn't want to mess you up." She answered, and held my face. "The doctor told me not to keep feeding you information as it may hurt you more."

"How did you live?" I hugged her.

"I was in a coma for 2 weeks. When I woke up, I found out you were in a coma, too."

"Who tried to kill us?" I asked again, hoping I could get answers from her.

"Kim Yerim and her boyfriend, Boo Seungkwan." I heard his name, and it hurt my head. I could hear Grace screaming my name but my head still hurts. Everything is black and I'm not sure if I can survive this pain. Please take it away.

I stared at Seungkwan, mirroring what I'm doing. I tried to run, and he ran faster than I did. I stopped, only for him to stop his tracks. I tried to hold out my hand to him, and he smiled sheepishly. His expression changed and he took out a knife from his back. He cut off my hand, and looked at me with those evil eyes. Only this time, I don't feel the pain. It's a hollow feeling that I'm trying to grasp. But I don't know what it is. I lied down, gently, not to hit my head. He stabbed me on my shoulder, my stomach, my chest and now, my head.

I opened my eyes, seeing Michelle sleeping on the couch near my bed. I looked at the room and the familiar scent lead me to conclude I am in a hospital. I held out my hand to her, hoping she'd see me. I remember her! I remember everything! She is the woman that I love! She was the reason I forgave my family for abandoning me. Leaving me alone in our damned house after my parents died. I forgave them for living their lives. And I forgave my parents for dying before I could even understand how to live my life fully. Especially my father. I thought I did not have enough time with him as I spent my life mostly with my mother. But I was wrong. It's not the length of the time that matters. It's the time I actually spent with them. The days that I remember I love them the most. Until, her. Until Michelle.

"Mi--' She opened her eyes, and when she saw me, she ran towards me and cried. Please don't cry, baby. It's okay. I'm here. I'll be here forever.

"Jun!" She kissed my hand. "I thought I lost you!"

"You'd never lose me." I held her hand tight. "I'll be here for you, always." I kissed her hand, then her fingers. "I love you, Michelle."

"You remember me?" She asked with eyes wide open.

"Yes..." I felt her shiver. "And I need to know what happened after we got shot so I could kill those bastards, Kim Yerim and Boo Seungkwan."