Chapter 12

"The more suf-fish-cient practi-tice to add-dwess and capti-tivate yo aud-i-ence is fost to weci-ite yo speech to a smaller con-gwe-gation. You must know the level of educat-tion of those to who-whom you speak. If yo audience vawries in age and/or intelli-telligence, be sho to use words the young-gow or low-oh class of the com-mon folk would undos-stand," Otti read aloud. She squinted at the more difficult words or sounds.

For the last several hours, Otti had been reading in the study of the castle. She quickly found a booklet that gave instructions on proper etiquette of the female gender. After reading aloud that book, she found more advanced reading with larger words and more pages. This book, titled, 'Leadership and Government for the Gentleman' by Sir Arturio Delonias, she found in the large collection of books lining the wall behind the desk of the study.

She singled out this book because of Prince Matteais' earlier words in the garden. She found his assumptions greatly disturbing, but accurate. Otti needed to prepare herself to be presented before the council of the kingdoms. She now had less than twelve days before the Otswana festival. The council members would be arriving soon after, if not before.

One royalty from each kingdom would be selected to come to Loboria. They would each question Queen Hilvasha of her crimes and decide whether or not she violated the treaty of the kingdoms. If found guilty, which was very likely, she will be executed. This execution will only take place if another Sulbarolia princess is prepared to be crowned queen of Loboria.

Otti now had a voice. She was determined to use it well, and never take it for granted.

It was another two hours before the door to the study creaked open. Otti didn't turn her head to see who entered, for she saw him askance. She began whispering the words she read, now that she was not alone.

"There you are. You missed afternoon tea. Why are you hiding in here? Aren't you hungry?" Prince Greggor asked, approaching Otti.

Otti looked up. "I am a little. What is the time?" she asked slowly, taking care to correctly pronounce her letters.

"Just past six o'clock. Dinner is served at around eight, but I can ask a servant to bring you some tea if you wish," Greggor offered, nodding his head towards the door.

"No, I shall wait."

"You're coming along well with your sounds. You're no longer stuttering," Greggor noted. He gave her a smile and she returned it.

"Thank you. Though, I am still slow in speech," she said in a measured tone.

"I have something that might belong to you. I thought you might like to have it." Greggor stretched forth his hand as he stood on the other side of the desk.

Otti cautiously held open her hand. Her labradorite ring was dropped into it. "My talisman," she smiled at the prince. "Thank you," she said as she placed it on her thumb.

"Your father has one just like it and since I knew it wasn't Matteais' ring, I only pretended to put it in his bag. It's been in my pocket since I found it."

"I'm glad to have it back. It belonged to my gwondfathough."

"Hmm. I see you're still struggling with the 'R' sounds. May I be of assistance?"

Otti hesitated. She wasn't sure if he was teasing her.

He gave Otti a kind smile. "I used to have trouble with pronouncing my R's. I was shamed incessantly," Greggor continued saying when he sensed her reluctance to oblige.

"Vaowee well," Otti agreed.

Greggor sat down across from Otswana in the second cushioned chair. "First, you make the long 'e' sound, as in 'eagle'. Try it," he encouraged. His eyes focused on her mouth.