Stars

I actually don't know what this story is about. I am writing it as I go along. Will involve magic and a fox made of stars. Oh, the fox was in my dream last night. It's the only thing I remember, but I thought 'hey let's use a star fox' And vampires. It's based around a vampire detective, who solves who is a vampire.

Amber looked at the stars. A twisting cascade of jewels that were always just out of reach. When Amber felt alone, she looked at the stars. She allowed them to engulf her in their parade, and sometimes, if she sat very still, eyes tilted towards the diamond crusted swathes of sky, Amber heard the stars singing.

The loud snarl of Ambers alarm clock clawed up her walls. The broken alarm sending clicks like that of an insect the size of a truck through the air. Amber had no choice but to release herself from her bedcovers and plod over to the clicking alarm on the other side of her room. The silence that came as she turned off the alarm cut the air as much as the alarm itself. Amber looked out the window, a thick fog swirled around outside, she opened the window. The fog invaded the air around her with its cold quiet. She shut the window.
Downstairs she picked up the post, the newspaper. The third page in caught her eye, a story that she had seen before.

Man Killed by Dead Woman.
James Harold Carter was found dead yesterday by farmer Jonathon black by the Troutwill lake. His body showed little signs of a fight and his neck was bruised from where someone gripped him. There were two small homes in his neck and the murderer is suspected to have taken some blood. We suggest you all keep your houses locked and....

Amber knew the symptoms. She had a chance to find the killer. Had a chance to free her mother from jail. Then she remembered the title of the paper, and skimmed down. She found the point she wanted.
The suspect for the death of James Harold Carter is Mary Morstan, died aged 54 last year. She was seen approaching James Carter at a party two nights before he died. If you see anyone you know to be dead walking around, report it so we can deal with the issue.

If the council were being sneaky and trying to hide the fact that the murderers were undead, Amber would need a new tactic to stop the night killers rising from their craves. She needed Locke. She needed Baz.