Two

Rationality and tact tucked themselves in the back of my mind as I approached Dane Dericaan. Rounding the nearest shelf, I came to a section labeled: AUTOGRAPHED COPIES. At that moment, my concern didn't lie with the absurdity of why I was there; I simply wanted to meet this unsuspecting man, leafing through seemingly random books.

Regardless of what he took from the shelf, Dane began reading small portions from the center of the book, not from the front as I would have done or from the back for those who really needed to know the ending. It was a peculiar way of sampling a story. As I edged closer to him, picking up a book jacketed in sky blue, I heard my comrade, Spencer, vanish away from mortal sight, which created a light draft in the bookstore.

I cleared my throat gently. "If you don't mind me saying, you have a very unique way of browsing titles."

"I suppose so," he replied, keeping his eyes focused on the page.

"Any particular reason?" I asked. I needed this connection to strengthen if there was any hope of a successful initiation. As of this moment, the entire exchange reeked of awkwardness.

"I treat books as I do people," he said, head still down. "When you meet someone, it's never at the beginning or the end; it's in the middle."

"Fascinating. Truly fascinating. Now, if I were to --"

He snapped the book shut. "Can I help you with something?"

"Oh. Impatience!" I replied excitedly. "I can certainly help you with that particular flaw."

"Excuse me?" he responded incredulously. "Do I even know you?"

"My name is Herbert Spetter, Mr. Dericaan," I said, extending an open hand. "It's an absolute pleasure."

Dane took my hand, shaking it hesitantly, more out of courtesy than anything else. "Right… I suppose the pleasure is yours. Now, if you'll excuse me, my friend is performing a reading from her novel and I must go --"

The entire store fell silent. Any and all in attendance had disappeared from their chairs as well as any shoppers in the aisles. Even Katie left the lectern empty with the microphone emitting a faint feedback. All service kiosks were unattended and the baristas at the corner cafe were nowhere to be found. Even the light muzak playing over the recessed ceiling speakers hushed to nothingness.

"What is this?" Dane probed as he quickly released his hand from mine.

"This…" I replied. "This is where we get to know each other a little better, Mr. Dericaan."

"I think it's time for me to leave," he said, attempting to keep his composure.

"Off to see your brother, Kolton?"

"How could you possibly know about that?" he asked, eyes squinted. "Have you been following me?"

"I didn't have to," I replied, thumbing through the pages of the sky blue book in my hands. "A single touch is all it takes for me to know where you've been and, more importantly, where you're going."

Dane examined the hand I shook. "Look, Herb," he said with a hint of disparagement. "That's a really impressive parlor trick, but I'm going to have to ask you to stop this immediately."

"Well, if you have to ask, then by all means, ask."

Taking a deep breath, Dane said commandingly, "Please, stop."

The store remained empty without a single sound filling the space, other than the shuffling of pages from my book. The blood drained from Dane's face as he pivoted in several directions, his mouth agape.