Five

The quiet, rhythmic beeps from Kolton's heart monitor lulled Dane into a deep trance, his eyes fluttering as he could feel the exhaustion. Thoughts of the gate, however, swirled with thoughts of goodbye, keeping him conscious by a thread.

"You'll never believe you're ready," I said, appearing in the far corner of the room.

Dane pulled his head from his pillow and rubbed his eyes. "But, I need to be. For him."

His voice cracked under the weight of the words while he stared at his brother, appearing so fragile in his bed. Dane reached over, placing his hand on Kolton's. Pain and disappointment was all Kolton knew, but now a hope for something worlds away from all of that presented itself.

"You're a much stronger mortal than most I've come across," I said, moving closer.

"He's much stronger than me," Dane replied, eyes still focused on his brother. "And that's why he doesn't deserve to be left alone."

Slowly, silently, he brought himself to his feet and took a few steps towards me.

"I know what you're thinking," I said.

"Then, tell me how I can also save Jenna."

"I'm telling you now that it's not possible."

"Is it not possible because it's never been done?"

"No, it's never been done because it's not possible."

Dane turned away from me, beginning to pace, his head down, his hands folding and unfolding as he searched his mind for logical alternatives in an illogical scenario. He mumbled, combing through every idea he held in his mind.

"The price for a saved life is paid through service, correct?" he asked, turning in his pace.

"Correct."

"And when my service is completed, another person will pay the same price?"

"Also, correct."

Dane stopped in his tracks, lifting his head. "What if you took out the need for a successor?"

I furrowed my brow, for the first time not knowing where he was headed. "I'm not quite sure what you mean by that."

"What if I wasn't just the next Gatekeeper? What if I was the last Gatekeeper?"

"You're willing to trade an eternity of servitude for a pair of fleeting mortal lives?"

"Call it 'the curse of grace'," he responded. "Neither of them have had the chance at a normal life and I know they are both capable of great -- amazing -- things." He took a step closer to me.  "This is what I want, Herbert."

His conviction sparked my question, "Do you have any idea how long an eternity is?"

"I've built a career on helping people get to where they wanted to go. And you said that was the job of the Gatekeeper -- being the guy at the door to the hereafter. Give me this chance." He lowered his eyes once again. "Everything I've done -- I've done it because I was good at it, not because I was motivated. Now, I can be both. If you'll let me."

I shut my eyes, reaching out to the farthest distance, beyond time, beyond the fabric of reality. The ethereal rejoice of a commitment with this kind of gravity was wondrous to behold. It had been an age since such sentiment had been shown. I had become numb to the mortals who were plagued with entitlement and ego. This was different. This was special. And the angels sang for Dane Dericaan.

"You have a beautiful soul," I said, smiling before my voice flattened. "For such an average looking guy."

"Are angels able to look in the mirror, Herb?"