Chapter Eight

The small town up ahead veered away from the forestry, making Aaliyah doubt how long the rabbit would last. They found what looked like a ransacked grocery store. Many of the shelves were bare, but not all.

"Undead outside!" Jake called out.

Esther peered through the glass window, biting her tongue at the sight of the small horde.

"Keep away from the glass, let them pass us," Laura told them.

The group seemed to be settling in as the sky grew dark. Aaliyah and Esther kept some distance from the others, mistrust evident. Neither was sure if it would change before they reached safety.

The hot days gave way to cold nights and blankets were a luxury in their new world. No one had questioned Esther's lack of appetite and though she could eat, it would be a waste of resources.

Aaliyah was less hesitant about sleeping next to Esther that night. The strangers were unpreferred company and Esther's eyes were brown. Even laying with her head on Esther's leg, she couldn't fall asleep.

The brute looked down at the scientist. She knew that Aaliyah was still awake, though her eyes were closed. Esther lifted her hand to touch under the scientist's jaw. Aaliyah's eyes snapped open, meeting the brute's uncovered pair.

"You're shaking," Esther noted. "Are you cold?"

Aaliyah blinked, trying to slow her breathing. "A little," She whispered. "Are you?"

"I wouldn't know." The pad of her thumb brushed over Aaliyah's cheek. Esther's back was straight against the wall as she looked over at their company. Thomas and Laura were asleep and the boy was dead still. Esther shrugged off her jacket, laying it over Aaliyah's torso.

"Go to sleep."

-

Esther chose not to sleep in unfamiliar company. It was near dawn when the boy arose. He left the store, his movement nearly silent. She gently laid Aaliyah on the ground, standing up quietly.

She walked down one of the aisles, picking up a can of peaches. Thomas shifted his weight in his sleep, Laura's fingers twitching every once in a while.

Esther set the can down by Aaliyah, peering through the window at the boy's retreating form. She looked down at the scientist, then back to the cold night. She sighed, turning away and following the zombie. Her glasses abandoned in the store.

He was aware of her behind him and she knew it. Jake turned around to face her. She lifted her chin indignantly. "You're awake early." He said calmly. "Why are you following me."

Esther growled, "What are you?"

"I don't know what you mean-"

"Right." She scoffed sarcastically.

"I'm not one of them." He snarled.

"Then what are you?"

"I'm a carrier."

Esther's eyes narrowed. "I don't understand."

"I carry the virus, but it doesn't affect me." He explained. The brute cursed under her breath, glaring daggers at the boy. "How did you know I was infected?"

She gritted her teeth, walking back towards the store.

"I know you're hiding something." He called after her.

Esther closed the door behind her, meeting Aaliyah's eyes. Thomas stirred as she entered, waking up slowly. She sat down beside the scientist, who had found and disregarded the can of food. "You should eat."

Aaliyah looked back to the door as Jake came inside. "There's no walkers outside. A few abandoned cars, they might have gas left in them." He told them. 

Thomas groaned in reply, stretching out his sore muscles. Esther narrowed her eyes at the boy, opening the can with the hunting knife. Aaliyah took the peaches gratefully, leaning into Esther's side. "I was wrong." She muttered.

Aaliyah nodded, eating slowly.

The other three were already getting prepared to move. The medicine aisles were stripped bare, very little left in the store. Meaning their trip would be prolonged until they found what they were looking for.

"You're not hungry, Esther? You didn't eat last night either." Laura noticed.

"I'm fine." She protested indifferently.

Jake glanced over at them suspiciously.

"Whatever makes you happy," She exhaled loudly with a smile. "Everyone ready to go?"