The Pope Apprentice Is There

It was an average day in the Vatican. Cold as if winter with a soft sheen of light bouncing off the passerby POPE apprentices heads. It was an average day in the Vatican but per usual Rachel, a girl training to become POPE, felt less than average. Why,  you might be wondering. Well, her grades were a pretty good place to start. In Bible recitation class her grade was bordering on failing. In papal appreciation class, she couldn't remember any important papal inauguration dates and how much the teacher hated her probably didn't help. But aside from grades, other things were almost over the edge.

Her mental state for example. Each time she smiled another fake smile or chatted with other apprentices she wished would get kicked out she felt something break inside her. Sometimes when she was feeling especially tired she could almost hear the rusty cracking of her mental state teetering on the edge of sanity.

Another example included how she had no friends. Her classmates had bonded with each other earlier in the semester but never with her. Maybe it was because she wasn't trying hard enough or maybe it was because she simply wasn't interested in the things most people were. Namely being POPE. She couldn't say there weren't any interesting people in her class though. There was one girl that seemed sort of eccentric and had glowing pink eyes. Then there was a quiet boy with bone white skin and another kid that rambled on and on about fitness to anyone they talk to. And finally, there was Emily Vuelné, the granddaughter of the POPE. Emily was at the top of all her classes and also thought to be most likely to become POPE. Not that that fact made anyone less determined to succeed.

And sometimes she just wanted to leave. After going through the rough tests and finally making it to POPE school amongst other contestants she knew she shouldn't be thinking things like that. But she didn't even want to be there. Honestly, she didn't want to be the next POPE. And on the road she was traveling there was a good chance she wouldn't become the POPE. So why shouldn't she just quit?

Rachel shakes her head and sighs, Because of dad, I have to make dad proud. She leaps off the small porch connected to her dorm and onto the pathway crowded with other apprentices. The perfect vantage point for the POPE.

                                                                                 ⊶⊶⊶✞⊷⊷⊷