4. A Nightmare on Impulse Street

Virgil felt much better after he returned to his room following breakfast. There were only a few small shadows waiting for him to review; the usual concerns prior to Thomas' friends coming over. He dealt with them easily and Thomas remained focused on preparing his apartment for the arrival of Talyn and Joan. Virgil went over to his second wardrobe and opened the doors to reveal his section of the imagination kingdom; a changing landscape that he could manipulate.

Years ago, Virgil had helped establish the space along with the other roaming impulses. In this space they could influence Thomas safely; until the core sides overpowered them. Now, Virgil was thankful that the space was avoided by the other impulses. They all had their own spaces; even Deceit and Rage had a space, despite not being satisfied with it.

Virgil walked through the wardrobes doors to find the space reflected a forest clearing; complete with a calm stream running by. In the centre of the clearing was a drawing table and over the other side of the stream Virgil could see Thomas on his lounge with Joan and Talyn; a simple projection so he could keep tabs on what was happening during the social exchange. He sat at the desk, pulled on his headphones and started doodling on the paper in front of him. Virgil let his hand glide over the page and form a variety of patterns and designs; only stopping to process a shadowy thought as they entered his room.

It was a surprisingly relaxing day and Virgil was thankful for the unusual reprieve, especially following the previous events. Although concerned that Depression would haunt his dreams again, Virgil still forced himself to sleep that night. Thomas had gone to bed uncharacteristically early and was already asleep; which made sleeping a lot easier for Virgil too.

*********************************************

Deceit walked through the mindscape. The landscape shifting and changing as he passed through the different territories; thinking and contemplating what action to take. He had always been pushed away by the core side, but in the past there were more roaming and lost impulses. Now they all had a place.... And he still felt lost. Deceit was good at his job though. He made sure Thomas was never consciously aware of his more 'negative' impulses.

Deceit knew he was needed, important, necessary. Yet he still felt like he didn't belong anywhere in the mindscape. Talking to Depression hadn't improved his mentality.

Depression's questions ran through his head - "Have you ever stopped to consider the reason why you feel so lost, Deceit? Why are you the only impulse without a place? Why did the little nameless impulse get a room and not you?"

Deceit found himself walking into Virgil's territory and looked around a tree to see the anxious side working at a drawing table; an unusual sight. Depression's questions ran through his mind again and he snuck around Virgil to enter his room and headed to Depression's cage.

"I am truly being spoilt with company," Depression cooed as Deceit approached him. "A pleasure to see you again, Deceit. Have you had time to consider my proposal?"

Deceit shook his head, "Anxiety is much weaker than you promised."

"Well that is understandable. He does have access to my energy, as well as the excess power held within the seal."
"What do you mean?"

"The seal on Anxiety's arm, that formed this cage, he took a little extra energy. How else do you think he became a core side?"

Deceit looked at the floor, contemplating Depression's words.

"Get me out of here. I can restore balance to the mindscape. This room was meant to be Anxiety's. A cage that YOU could control. Set me free and I will seal Anxiety in here for you."