{Chapter One}

.  .  .  .  .

"She's proof that you can walk through Hell and still be an angel."

.  .  .  .  .

.  .  .  .  .

Two Years Earlier

Summer

.  .  .  .  .

Josephine sighed as she wiped the circular, metal table in frustration and exhaustion. A soft melody escaped her lips as she cleaned, humming to distract herself from her aching wrists and sore feet.

The diner had been incredibly - and unexpectedly - busy that day, and Josephine had been serving countless amounts of delectable milkshakes and various types of food to the starving, and sometimes demanding, customers all day.

"Josie!" came the short, abrupt call of her uncle who happened to run the old diner himself.

Josephine straightened up in relief, then scattered to the counter after tightening her glossy, brown ponytail.

"Take this to booth number four, please, honey," he instructed, pushing a steaming hot plate of greasy fries along with a large burger.

Josephine inhaled the heavenly, yet greasy, smell of the food as she carefully, and skillfully, balanced the plate atop her hand. In the other, she picked up a tall, wonderfully frothy, chocolate milkshake in its crystal glass.

Josephine was used to carrying the food and drinks, for she had once been a waitress dressed up in her mother's aprons, taking steaming hot food to the ravenous customers. They used to smile fondly at her, or even give generous tips to encourage the girl. At that point, young Josephine didn't have a care in the world - things had changed now.

"You're a good kid, Josie." Her uncle smiled at her as she began to walk away.

"I try," the girl responded over her shoulder, causing her uncle to chuckle.

This seemingly endless routine of delivering food, giving out charming smiles, and spotlessly cleaning the numerous booths and tables continued for another extremely slow hour, until, finally, Josephine's fifteen-minute break dragged along.

The girl placed down the two empty glasses, which were in her profound grip, behind the counter before ambling away. She slid gracefully into her favorite booth, letting her body relax into the soft, wine-red, leather seat. It was tucked away at the far corner of the normally busy diner, away from many of the other occupied booths.

Josephine released her long hair from its tight ponytail and yawned, drinking in the details of her workspace.

A glossy, vintage jukebox stood proudly in the opposite corner, filling the atmosphere with uplifting music provided by its mixtape.