Starring Romeo and Juliet

Evie sat in the auditorium alone as she went over her lines. Playing Juliet with an unknown prince was a bit tough. She had immediately got the part, but they were in need of a Romeo. She heard faint talking as she stopped her lines and ducked under the chairs, peeking her head slightly above the chairs.

"You should really play Romeo, Doug" Evie heard Audrey's voice.

"Um, I'll pass" He said laughing. That would be so cool. Evie thought. My potential boyfriend plays Romeo.

"Why not? You starred in Princess and the Pea as the second lead male. Come on, it'll be fun" Audrey said. "Ben won't do it, neither will Chad. I mean I'm sure you know about Evie and Chad's dislike of each other. And speaking of Evie, you are practically her boyfriend. It will be so adorable. Plus, you guys are like Romeo and Juliet. One of Snow White's dwarves son and the Evil Queen's daughter. Priceless love!"

"Audrey, we're not dating. And what difference does that make?" Doug said. "I'll stick to the music"

"Ugh! Take this anyway and read over it. Evie will probably love you forever if you play Romeo. Not that she already doesn't" Audrey said skipping away. "Tootles!"

"A-Audrey!" Doug said before sighing. "Romeo and Juliet. I can't play Romeo"

Evie dropped her papers and they slid down the stage. Doug got up and looked at the papers. Evie shuffled and stuck her leg in the seat.

"Poison apples! Ow!" She said as Doug picked up the script and walked to Evie. He leaned down.

"Evie, are you okay?" he said helping her up.

"Yeah, um do you see my um, highlighter?" she said reddening at their closeness. Doug noticed and they both sort of awkwardly coughed.

"Yeah, I was reading through my lines and stuff" she said as he gave her the blue marker and she smiled. "Thanks"

"You're welcome, Juliet" He said smiling.

"Do you act?" Evie asked.

"I do. Well–not often" he said. "Other than performing arts class, no.

"You should audition for a role, I mean the least you could be is an extra"

"I guess. Audrey gave me a script for Romeo, but I've never had a lead role before" Doug said.

"Here, how about we practice?" Evie said her eyes shining.

"Sure" he said.

The two practiced their lines and by the end, Doug had the confidence to try out as Evie encouraged him to.

"Thanks, Evie. I'll try out tomorrow"

"Anytime" Evie said as he hugged her and she returned the hug.

"Bye" Doug said waving as he walked toward the director's office.

"Bye, Doug" Evie said smiling her heart skipping another beat as she jumped out of the auditorium chair and skipped to her dorm room. She flopped on her bed with a squeal and sighed. Doug as Romeo. Oh, this is just perfect. She thought.