Chapter One

Molly turned on her side to cut off the hotel lamp, and then got adjusted in the bed. It was her very first night as Mrs. Jason Walton. She looked over at her husband.

"Jason?"

"Hmm?"

"Remember when we first met?" The memory brought a smile to her face.

Jason laughed, "How could I forget? You wouldn't leave me alone!"

A short, stubby girl with shoulder length hair put her hands on her hips. "You can't just ignore me!"

The small boy walking ahead of her tried to quicken his pace. He only grunted in response so she knew he was listening, and that he refused to answer her.

She put a hand on his shoulder and turned him around. "Talk to me!"

"What do you want?" He asked.

"I just want you to talk to me!"

"What if I don't want to? I don't even know you," he retorted.

But the girl wasn't giving up. She stuck her hand out. "Molly Mayfield. And you are?"

The boy looked down at her hand, but didn't take it. Instead all he said was, "Jason."

"Hello Jason, you wanna–"

"I gotta go!" He lied, then took off down the road, leaving the little girl standing in the dirt path alone.

"I knew you were lying," Molly said, making Jason snap back to reality.

"Uh-yeah...I was mean back then," he said.

"Back then?" Molly asked, giving him a sly look.

Jason playfully nudged her. "Aw, c'mon, you don't mean that."

She smiled, then leaned in for a kiss. "No, I don't." Jason cupped his hand around her cheek, cherishing the moment as if it was the first time they had kissed two years ago.

Once they pulled away from each other, Molly said, "Well, you'd better get some sleep, you've got a long day tomorrow, first day and all."

Jason nodded. "Yep, 'night, Sunshine. I love you."

Molly smiled, but Jason couldn't see her. She loved it when he called her Sunshine. "I love you, too."

* * * * *
In the morning, Jason kissed Molly goodbye and she wished him luck.

Molly was going out job-searching. She figured they would be in the area for at least a year, so she may as well get a small job.

After two hours, being turned down because she was "too young," was getting old. So she had to settle for working as a waitress in a nearby cafe six days a week. Her pay would be her tips, as that was the only way the manager had agreed to hire her.

Molly turned in at the hotel at around 12:00 to eat a quick lunch in the Dining Hall. It came with the stay, so the food was free.

She hadn't realized how much Jason would be gone. Time seemed to go by slowly without him. And thinking about how he wouldn't be back until 5:00 made her bored out of her mind.

And it was only the first day.

She slowly walked back up to the bland hotel room and looked around the walls. It was nothing like the room she had back at Walton's Mountain. Molly was homesick, but she had come here for Jason. And she wanted to stay. She had to stay.

She took out her sewing kit and tried at that for a bit, but it was too noisy; nothing like the country where the only sound was the occasional call of a wild thing or the honk of a car horn.

She wondered what Jason was doing at that very moment. She looked down at the wedding ring on her finger. She smiled at it. It made her thing of a while back; simpler times.

The scrawny boy handed Molly a box that looked like he had carved himself; it had a few rough edges. "H-here...it's a birthday present."

She flipped open the top, and in it was a makeshift ring. The circle looked to be made of a type of wire, while there was a beautiful pearl sitting on the top. Molly slipped it on. "It's great, Jason! Thank you!"

"I know you wanted the one from the catalog," the boy said sheepishly, "But I just...I didn't have the money..."

She smiled up at him. "This one is much better that that old thing." Then she hugged him. "Best twelfth birthday ever."

Molly looked down at the ring on her finger. It had a sterling silver band and a diamond that she knew to be fake, but it was pure to her.

"I love you, Jason," she whispered.

Thx for reading! Feel free to comment or vote or whatever!