Now - Maisy

Maisy felt the sand push between her toes as her feet sank into the warmth of it. She tried to remember the last time that she had been to the beach.

It had been two summers' ago, before either of them got too busy to take the children anywhere, she thought with a wave of guilt, her stomach clenching. It was supposed to have been relaxing, and on the surface that's what it was.

But Maisy had worried every time the children went anywhere near the sea, heart thumping. Her mother-in-law had complained about the sandwiches, and whenever a younger woman had walked past, which was often on such a hot day, she couldn't help but let her eyes slide to Paul, to see whether he was watching them.

Now, they worked so often to avoid each other that they were inadvertently avoiding the children too.

Maisy sighed, wandering to the waters' edge, feeling the cool waves wash over her toes. When did this happen? How did it happen?

She and Paul had always been the golden couple, the relationship that people always wanted to have. People told them that so often, that she had really started to believe it.

Her hair whipped across her face, and she pulled it into a band so that it lay against her back. A seagull swooped close to the water, settling on a rock that was poking its' head just above the surface. Sometimes she wished that she could be free like that.

They hadn't really been perfect. Not even at the beginning, though she had felt it was pretty close. People just saw what they wanted them to see.

*