Ch.1 : As Per Usual

Friday, June 2nd, 2017

Colby had a lot of free time all of a sudden after Neena had left for Santa Barbara. His first thought was of his home. His room, his bed, his things, and most of all... his roommates.

"Colby?" Aaron said, pausing in the hallway to stare at his long lost roommate.

"Bro...! Haven't seen you in a minute!" Sam said, coming up to him from around the corner of the kitchen.

"I know, man! Sorry 'bout that." Colby said as he bro-hugged his best friend. "I told you I'd be here this weekend to film."

"I know, I know. But, where've you been, dude?" Sam asked him, a slight concern in his voice. Colby's face twisted into a little sideways grin and he winced. Sam squinted his eyes at his friend. "Wait, have you been at Neena's all week?" Sam asked, putting two and two together. Colby bit his bottom lip, trying not to smile but he started to blush and Sam knew he was right. "You have! Dude!" Sam said and held out his hand for a bro-shake and Colby reciprocated bashfully. "Why are you all embarrassed?" Sam asked.

"I don't know!" Colby exclaimed.

"Are things going good, then?" Sam asked, just to confirm and Colby was quick to nod his head.

"Yeah! I mean, yeah, things are really good." Colby told him sincerely.

"Well, good then! I'm happy for you, man!" Sam told him. Colby's whole face lit up and he smiled broadly at his friend.

"Yeah?" Colby asked.

"Yeah!" Sam affirmed. "Of course!" he said. Colby wasn't sure why he felt so awkward. This was Sam after all! He'd been through so much with him, but this time it felt... well, it felt different somehow. This time he really, really cared what Sam thought. He cared about what all his friends thought, he realized. It was important to him. Important that they approve. He wondered why he was feeling this way. He'd never felt that he needed anyone's approval before! Strange... he thought.

So Colby went upstairs and settled in, feeling slightly weird being back in his own room, in his own house. It was comforting however and he felt like he was truly home. Especially when the noises from downstairs got louder and he heard Aaron let out a high pitched scream followed by raucous laughter. He was definitely home! he realized. And then he wondered, how the heck was he going to incorporate having a girlfriend into this crazy life of his?!? It was truly a mystery and no matter what he did the entire weekend, he couldn't stop thinking about it.

~~~~~~

Colby's next few days were chock-full of filming and socializing and basically anything and everything to keep his mind off of missing Neena. And damn! Did he miss her terribly!! Literally, every time his phone buzzed, he freaked out and checked to see if it was her and it wasn't 90% of the time, but every so often, it would be her and his heart would race and his pulse would quicken and he felt so incredibly happy that she was thinking about him!

Neena's words were always silly and light and she told him all about her successes and her struggles, albeit cryptically due to the confidential nature of her job, but she made him feel like he was a part of her day. And then, every night, when her work was over, she'd call him from her hotel and they'd talk on Oovoo for hours while they had dinner together or just hung out and stared at each other longingly through their phones. Saying goodbye was the hardest thing to do each night and they found themselves in the stereotypical couple's loop of, "You hang up first!" "No, you hang up first!" Which made them both laugh hysterically at their mutual ridiculousness!!

Tuesday, June 6th, 2017

Eventually, Neena announced that she had completed all of her work and had called a car to bring her home. She told Colby that she'd be arriving back in LA late in the day, but she would be there with bells on so he better be ready! And, GOD, was he ready!! He literally couldn't focus on anything else the entire day despite his efforts to appear normal to his roommates who mercilessly teased the shit out of him at every opportunity, of which there were many!