(1) The Leaving

I woke up, as the sun shone in my eyes. I had had a dream where I was flying, and felt on top of cloud nine. But I sunk right back down to the hard ground when I remembered what day it was. Literally. The ground was hard.

I lifted myself off the floor as my mother ran in, asking what was wrong. “Why did I hear a bump?” she asked, as I explained what had happened.

“Are you alright? We don’t want you bruised, today of all days”, she asked, and for a second I thought she may have actually cared. But then I heard the second part of her sentence, and I felt my smile leave my face.

“I’m fine, mother, just shaken up”, I responded, rolling my eyes at my hopefulness. As if my mother would ever care about me. She just cared that I achieved greatness, so that I could pay for her retirement.

“Then un-shake yourself”, she instructed simply. If only I could, I thought. “Today’s a big day”.

“If only I could forget”, I muttered, as I marched past her into the kitchen. The family was sitting at the table, just as every other day. Dad was watching the news, Adelaide was heaping jam onto her toast, Bobby was playing with some toys on the floor, Teddy was snuffling up Adelaide’s crusts, and Mother was humming as she cooked, filling the kitchen with sweet music. Except for me, all I heard was the annoyance in my head.

I walked over and sat down next to Adelaide, ruffling Teddy’s head. “Hey boy, did ya sleep well? I bet you did, out in that comfy kennel”, I said, an icy tone in my voice as I glared at my mother’s turned back. Teddy used to sleep inside, either in my bed or Adelaide’s, but last month Mother decided he was too big to sleep inside, so she made him sleep outside in the cold.

“Eat up everyone, its December’s big day today!” Mother said, placing a steaming plate of scrambled eggs in front on me. I grabbed a plate, piled some toast on it, added some eggs and bacon, and shoves some in my mouth.

“Thank you Mother”, I tried to say, but as my mouth was full, it sounded more like “Shanks Motor”.

“Finish your mouthful before you speak, how many time do I have to say it”, she responded, tutting under her breath. I rolled my eyes and shoved more food in my mouth.

“So, when do we have to go?” I asked, desperately trying to change the subject from how much of a failed daughter I am.

“Nine, in order to get there by 10”, Mother said simply, taking a seat next to Dad.

“I’m gonna miss you, December”, Adelaide said, hugging my arm. I smiled warmly at my younger sister, knowing I would miss her too. I glared in my mother’s direction as I finished my mouthful, before responding to Adelaide.

“I’ll miss you too, Addie”. My mother checked her watch, before picking Bobby up from the floor, and placing a hand on Dad’s shoulder.

“Time to go”, she said, as my father grunted, getting up from his seat. Adelaide leapt out of her seat, smoothing down her dress and pushing in her chair. Mother smiled at her, the proudness showing in her face. Adelaide is exactly what my Mother always wanted me to be, but I just didn’t turn out that way.

I got out of my chair, and walked out, smirking as I walked into my bedroom. I felt my mother’s glare on my back, but I just smiled, knowing after today I wouldn’t see her for at least three months. I grabbed my suitcase, jacket and earphones, plugging them in and turning the music up. I grabbed a few photos that I had up on my wall, and stuffed them in my backpack, along with my drink, sandwich and book.

On my way out of the house, Teddy stopped at my feet. I glanced down at him, feeling the tears prick my eyes. “I’m sorry to leave you with her, but I don’t really have a choice”, I said, hugging the Bearded Collie. “I’ll miss you, maybe the most out of all of you guys”, I whispered in his ear, sniffling. I felt his head nudging my leg and I laughed through the tears. “Yes, I’ll bring you food when I get back”, I said, smiling. I felt a tap on my shoulder. It was Adelaide.

She held her arms out for a hug, like she knew I needed one. “Thanks Addie”, I said, wiping away a tear off my cheek.

“You’ll be awesome”, she promised, taking my hand as I walked towards the door. I picked up Bobby from the floor, giving him a kiss on the cheek.

“You probably won’t even remember me when I get back”, I said, scrunching my face in sadness. Bobby was only 1 ½, there is no way he’d remember me when I get back, even if I’m only gone for 3 months. Adelaide squeezed my hand, reminding me that we had to leave. I shifted Bobby so he was resting on my hip, chewing on his teething ring.

As we walked past Dad, he took Bobby off me so that I could give him a hug. “We’ll be watching you every night”, he promised, his gruff voice tickling my ear. I gave him a kiss on the cheek, his beard scratching my lips, just as it should. I took Bobby back off him, as he rolled my bag along the wooden floor I’d lived on all my life.

I finally reached the end of the corridor, turning around to see the family photos lining the walls. The one closest to me was one of Adelaide, Bobby and I when Bobby was born. Then there was one of Adelaide and I with Teddy on his first day in our family. There was one of Dad, Mother and I holding baby Adelaide on her 1st birthday. I looked along the wall as it got to a picture of Mother, Dad and I when I was born. Then finally there was a picture of Mother looking beautiful on her wedding day to Dad. I smiled through the tears, hoping nothing would have changed in the time I’m away.

I finally got to the front door, and stepped outside as Dad hauled my bag into the boot of the car. Mother was standing on the pathway, holding my door open for me. I threw my things into the passenger seat, and gave my mother a hug. We’d always had our differences, but I knew that I did love her, no matter how much she annoyed me.

I gave Adelaide one last hug, and Teddy, and Dad, before giving Bobby a kiss on the cheek and getting into my car. I rolled the window down, and started the engine, turning out from the curb, the tears blocking my eyesight. I drove half a street away, before I had to bring the car to a stop, as the tears overcame me. I couldn’t hold them back any longer.

I wondered how the others were doing, leaving their families for so long. I wiped my tears, reapplied some mascara and blush, realizing I would have to stop on the way into the city to reapply my makeup, because the tears had made too big of a mess of it to fix in a car mirror on the side of the road.

I turned on the radio, cranking it up loud, and singing away my sorrows and doubts.

A/N: So, I know I have heaps of stories, but I had the idea for this one, and just couldn't ignore it. The picture to the side is of Kylie Jenner AKA December Hastings.

Beth xx