Bus call

Gwen POV:

We were about two hours into the drive when we got a video call from David. We were recently able to get a much better bus than a normal bus. It has AC, tv screens, better seats, a bathroom, and a big screen towards the front for video calls. I answered the call and put it on speaker.

I immediately asked, "Are you okay David? What's wrong?" David says, "Oh, nothing's wrong Gwen. I just wanted to check up on you and the campers." I looked around the screen for a moment before saying "Where is Max?" "He's right here. Let me flip the camera." David says as there's a pause of the camera changing to the back. The screen shows baby Max playing with a toy based on shapes. "What the FUCK!" I hear Neil yell. He has been kind of quiet since most of the campers are blaming him for having to go on this trip. "How the HELL is he able to sit up, David?" David responds, "Well, he was playing with a toy and couldn't reach it so he sat up and grabbed it. He's pretty good at it now." "That's almost impossible! Has he done anything else like walking or talking?"

David responds, "Well, no. I think he might be too young to do those things right n-." Neil interrupts him and says, "No, you don't get it. There are two ways to reverse the ways of the prototype. The first way is using the element we are getting. The second way is a checklist. The checklist consists of classic baby things: sitting up, crawling, standing up, walking, and the first word. If he does all those things, it will also turn him back to normal." I then interfere and yell, "WELL WHY DIDNT YOU TELL US THAT BEFORE WE LEFT?" Neil says, "Because to do all of these things, he has to feel, comfortable, safe, and happy. I wasn't expecting a baby MAX to be able to feel those emotions. At least not as fast as it would take us to get this element." I paused. He had a point. There was no way that I thought Max could have felt even one of those things with DAVID of all people.

I sigh and ask, "So, David. Having any problems so far?" David flips the camera back around and responds, "Not really. He's kind of an easy baby when you know what he wants. On the other hand, though, I still don't know how he'll sleep." I look at the clock on the bus and realize that it's 7:53. I realize that I should make a rest stop soon. "I'll call you in the morning Gwen. Goodnight, campers!" David says as he hangs up the phone.