Chapter 3

Max Pov:

The drive back to the station was extremely quiet, Daniel let me keep his phone and even let me download a few games to keep myself occupied. We eventually made it to a red light and sat in the slight awkward silence. I was too busy kicking ass in Jetpack Joyride to even notice the side glances I kept getting from Daniel. I eventually looked up and noticed that we were driving past the station.

" Uhh.. hey Daniel? You do know that you're passing the station right?" I asked in slight confusion.

"There's someone I want you to meet, they're going to be a big part of your life from now on" He stated blankly. He didn't even look up from the road.

That scared me a bit, this random man I just met today confronted my parents for their shit parenting, and is bringing me to some guy who I also don't know that will apparently be a Big part of my life. I was frantically looking between him and the window in front of us, I for once was actually scared of what could happen to me. Was it a killer? A Pedophile? A kidnapper? Was he gonna sell me? My mind was going a mile a minute thinking of every possible situation that Daniel could have put me through.

I guess I lost track of time when I was panicking because I was brought back into reality when I heard Daniel call for my attention,

"Hey kid, we're here."

I looked at him with both confusion and annoyance, He knows my name so why did he call me kid?.. wait did he know my name? I swear I thought I told him.

" Number one, don't call me kid I have a name and it's Max. Number two where are we exactly?" The annoyance shown clearly throughout my voice. He looks at me then nodded his head towards the window, signaling me to look outside. I looked out the glass and saw that we were in front of an orphanage. He honked the horn a few times until a lady with maroon colored hair came stumbling outside looking extremely tired and annoyed at the same time. She approached the car, on my side and tapped the window with her knuckle.

She must have recognized the car because, it has tinted windows so she couldn't have seen who we were from the outside. Daniel rolls my window down and the female threw her eyebrows up just a bit upon seeing me in the passenger seat.

" Woah, don't tell me you're stealing kids again? who is this?" The woman said, surprised.

That statement made everything click,

Why he was being so nice to a stranger..

Why he confronted my parents...

Hell, why he's allowed me to go through his phone this entire ride here...

Afraid, I reached for the door handle and threw it open, scrambling out of the car and behind the woman slightly. Of course he was letting me do all those things, he was gaining my trust. The woman turned her head and looked at me,

" Geez kid, I was only joking... kinda"

I looked up at her due to my short height and eyeballed her, skepticism laced all through out my glare. No wonder he was being so nice, he was trying to gain my trust, and she was going along with it. He looked out the window and stared at me then looked back at the woman and signals that there was something in the trunk. She nodded and walked to the back of the car, opening the trunk. I stood there confused until Daniel called me over to the window,

"Hey, That's Gwen. She owns this orphanage and will be taking care of you from now on. So.. get comfy you'll be here a while. But be careful she is a huge bitch, but at least she's a bitch with a heart."

I looked at Gwen as she grabbed my two suitcases from the trunk. I had to double take once I realized that they were mine, so that's what he did when we were at my house. I nodded and backed off the car and walked towards the orphanage. Gwen was already at the door and was waving Daniel off while holding both of my suitcases. I walked up to her and stopped just a few feet in front of the door besides her. I breathed out heavily and I guess that drew Gwen's attention.