Chapter 7

It took a few weeks for Paelen to get used to school. Turns out he was top of the class in Latin (having learnt it on Olympus instead of English) but was crap at maths. He just didn't understand it. He'd managed to get to grips with writing, writing quicker and more neatly than before. Getting up early was hard at first, but in the end, he got used to it. He was glad Katy helped him with it all, he was now starting to fit in.

Paelen didn't think of Olympus much, or of Emily and Joel. The pain of Lorin's death wasn't so sharp as before, he felt more at peace with it. He didn't know why. Maybe it was all the distractions from school.

The only thing really bothering Paelen was Charlotte. He would always feel her eyes on him everywhere, in the corridors, the canteen, he was sure he saw her follow them home one day. Form time was the worst, she would always ask questions (sometimes very personal), compliment him and all sorts. Paelen, being the polite Olympian that he is, would reply nicely, but it would only encourage her to talk more. As soon as the bell rang, he would practically run out of the class to Katy and told her his story from form.

-3 months later-

Paelen and Katy were walking back from school, having just had their exam timetables.

"Katy," Paelen asked, "What is it that you do for exams?"

"It's a test you do in silence in the hall. You have a designated seat where you can't cheat or talk. There are multiple exams for each subject, for example, for maths, you have one non-calculator paper and two calculator papers."

"What?!" Paelen exclaimed, "I cannot do maths with a calculator, let alone without one!"

Katy smiled, "I'll teach you."

"Thank you." Paelen looked round and spotted a blonde head following them at a distance. He groaned, "You said she would be bored in a few days! It has been months!"

Katy shrugged, "I don't know. She must be into you." She smirked at Paelen's disgusted expression. Paelen looked back round to see if Charlotte was still following them. Luckily, she had gone.

"Phew." Paelen said, relieved. As soon as he said this, a high-pitched scream was heard from behind them, then was quickly cut off. Paelen glanced at Katy. Together, they bolted to the source of the scream. They got to a small alleyway. Charlotte was pinned to the wall by a massive man in black clothes. Behind them was a group of at least half a dozen men also dressed in black. The man who had Charlette pinned against the wall had one hand against her mouth, and was touching her in very inappropriate places. The group noticed Paelen and Katy. The biggest man took out a knife and put it to Charlotte's throat. Her eyes were wide with fear and was on the verge of tears.

"Don't make a move." The man growled, "Put that phone away missy, or your little friend here will have some problems."

Katy put her phone slowly back into her pocket. "Now," the man said, "You will do exactly as I tell you, and there will be no trouble."

The knife was held very hard against Charlotte's throat, slightly cutting into her skin. The man didn't seem to notice. Charlotte looked pleadingly at Paelen. He didn't like the girl for being both horrible to Katy and creepy towards him, but he didn't like seeing someone so defenceless in the power of someone so powerful. With lightning speed, he snatched the knife from the man's hand and hit him hard in the face. However, he only stumbled back a bit and sneered. 

"Katy! Charlotte! Go!" Paelen cried as the biggest man advanced towards him, raising his hand. He felt Charlotte behind him trying to escape, but one of the other men grabbed her. To Paelen's horror, he saw another had caught Katy. "I think not!" The biggest man said as he swung his fist to hit Paelen. Paelen yelped and ducked. He had not had ambrosia for months, so was much weaker than usual. Earth sugar would never be enough. He saw the fist coming towards his face again and ducked again. He then kicked the man in an area that should not be kicked and the man double over. With the man distracted, he ran towards the other men who had Katy and Charlotte captive. He punched, kicked and slapped as hard as he could, but they were fighting back. He felt a hand picking him up from behind and slamming him into the wall. It was the big man. He held Paelen tightly by the neck and squeezed. The man's arm was too long for Paelen to kick him in the body. He could do nothing. He tried loosening the man's fingers, but they were to tight.

"Paelen!" He heard Katy shout to the side of him, then a grunt of pain.

"Not so cocky now, are we, little boy." The man said to Paelen. He squeezed harder as Paelen's airways were completely cut off. Tears leaked out of his eyes as his world began to go dark. The man laughed as darkness took over.