Chapter 7: Leap of Faith

Weeks turned into months. Everyone was surprised at how confident I was even after six long months of the same crap. I partially owed it to Alice and Smee, but also to my people outside the office aka Jill, Paris, Jason, and all of the people at the old office...except two people whose names are not important or even slightly relevant to my life.

Although everything seemed okay, the good doctor and I were stuck in an awkward phase after I told him off months ago. He pretended as if it never happened but seemed to almost feel ashamed of himself for letting a girl tell him off like I did.

On a bright Friday morning, Smee and I had completed our morning ritual of catching the elevator together after getting passion fruit iced tea lemonades with enough sweetener to make a horse jump 600 fences without stopping.

I wore a black sundress with colorful flowers all over it and I wore my hair in a 50's style beehive type bun.

I felt my phone vibrate in my purse. I felt my nose flare and knew that this is what I was in for.

Hook: my office?

Tess: y?

Hook: tell u when u get here. does it help if I put a :)?

I smirked and tossed my phone into my purse before Smee could read anything over my shoulder.

"Meeting with the good doctor I see," he smiled.

"How do you always know?"

"Whenever you get a text from him, your nose does that thing and you crack your thumbs as you read the text. I'm just very observant."

I threw my head back and let out a loud sigh as the doors opened.

"Lots of luck, Tess," he grinned.

I stomped down the long hallway and opened the door instead of knocking as I always did before.

I'll tell you now; I really should've knocked. Seriously, the one time out of the millions of times I've been called to that small room and that was the only time I should've and didn't.

"Nick, what's this abou...wow, this early in the morning in a doctor's office...?"

A blonde haired girl blinked several times before slipping into her five inch platform heels.

"Dear, I'm just his secretary and I'm not jealous," I smirked as the girl scurried out of the room.

"Just put a little ice on that, you'll be fine, Jenny! Call me if you need to come back," the doctor called after the blonde before turning his attention to his belt.

I held up a jade bracelet and watched her scurry back to retrieve it. She nodded gratefully and scampered out of the office.

"Wow, Nick. Wow. I'm surprised that this didn't happen sooner. Like all the times you've called me to your office and you said you were with a patient and you said you'd be done soon..."

"I thought you were farther away than in the elevator. Next time I wanna see you in my office, text me your exact location so I know how fast to..."

"Diagnose or prescribe something to your patients?"

"Exactly. I don't need you nagging me about how I do my job. Just because you're the perfect secretary and you're so great at your job doesn't mean you have to bag on me. Now, before I start this meeting, I wanted to know if there was something that you know that I don't."

"Like the fact that your fly is down?"

"Exactly...wait. No, that's not what I..."

"Nick, I'm serious. Zip your pants."