Chapter 13: Peace of Mind

After a year of marriage, it was clear that Sam and I were perfect for each other. We never had a fight that we couldn’t resolve quietly.

“Sam! Sam! Oh my God!”

“What? What’s wrong?”

“Yes!”

“Yes? What do you mean?”

“It’s positive. I’m pregnant!”

“No, you’re not! Really?”

“Yes! Look! Two pink lines on the test thing!”

“Wait, that means positive? I thought it meant something completely different.”

“I’m having a baby, Sam.”

He lifted me up in his arms and gave me the same smile he gave when he purposed to me.

“My God, Tess, we’re going to be parents!”

“I know! This is amazing!”

“I know you’re going to be a fantastic mother.”

I never admitted it to him and I regret it, but I had always hoped that he would be there long enough to have this baby with me. One of the many things I regret not telling him is that I had wanted a baby for the longest time. After the big news, every man in the office knew I was completely off limits. You’d think that would have been established after we started dating, but apparently it one of the 180 deadly sins in the Guyble (guy bible) to steal a girl after a pregnancy. Don’t worry; to this day it makes no sense to me either.

Anyway, months later, Sam and I had discovered we would be having a beautiful baby girl. Her name, we decided would be Wendy Ireland Tobias. Wendy made my life a journey. Just like her namesake, growing up was not a fear but a curiosity and a strength.