Chapter 4: Doctor

The next morning, I woke up on a large black sofa. I snuggled deeper into the leather jacket that was wrapped around me long after I had fallen asleep.

I saw a tall man with curly light gold hair. He wore a New York Giants t-shirt and nice clean blue jeans. His blue gaze stared softly upon me.

I yawned loudly and the two directed their attention to my direction. I couldn't help but stare. Both of them were so perfect.

"Well, hello, Tess. Did you sleep well," Paris asked, baring his pointy white teeth.

"I'm Jason. It's nice to meet you," the blonde said, holding out his hand shyly.

I made my way to the black marble counter and sat on a stool. I grasped Jason's hand and shook it lazily.

"So, what will the lovely lady be spending her time accomplishing today," Paris beamed, putting too much emphasis on everything with his charming Spanish accent.

"I'm getting another job. If I'm ever getting over this, I've got to occupy my time somehow."

"Good for you, Tess. I am almost positive that you'll even find one today," Jason smiled, resting his head on Paris' shoulder while his stool spun leisurely. "Secretaries are in high demand these days."

I smiled and walked to the doorway where my purse was.

"Break a leg, Tess," Jason said almost too cheerfully.

"Much luck, dear," Paris seconded after taking a small sip of orange juice.

When I arrived at my apartment, I thought about what I was to wear. I had lost my job to a tramp that exposed way more than what even supermodels would dare. I was not going to risk not getting a job because I wasn't dressed to a man's liking. I found a white short sleeved buttoned blouse and a red corset from when I was a lady pirate for Halloween. I found a short skirt with lace at the bottom and a pair of black high heeled boots. My usual messy ponytail had become a long waterfall of wavy dark brown hair that trailed down my back.

I set out not knowing what I was looking for at all. A job. That was a start, but not much of one. All I knew was that I was in desperate need of a new boss. I wasn't sure if it was to replace Roger or simply keep myself busy. Where was I to even start? Reading job listings in a newspaper would take way too long. So, my conclusion was to wander the city and hope for something to turn up. I took a taxi down town and walked from street to street looking for that magical job opportunity.

God sort of won the last match with the whole hot gay guy thing, so I was expecting a freebie.

I stepped into a tall building and saw a sign with black handwriting.

"Secretary Wanted. Come to the 21st Floor."

I froze and made sure I was reading that right. I read it and thought this through carefully. That was incredibly easy.

God works in mysterious ways. Mysterious and somewhat logical. I was praying he would continue to work his magic in my favor. This was one of the only times that I had to question his wisdom.

I pushed through the revolving door and made my way to the 21st floor as the sign had instructed. I walked through two glass doors similar to the ones at the office from which I had just been removed. I walked to the reception desk where a short girl with mousy brown hair sat.

"Hi, I noticed there was a sign in the window..."

"You poor thing. You don't wanna be here. This place is terrible. You'd be the only girl here besides me..." the lady answered, shaking her head with a look of disdain.