Hulk-Smash-Party Ava

Scarlette

I walked into my dorm room just coming back from my meeting with my volleyball coach only to be greeted by my roommate who was sitting at the kitchen counter looking like she was just seconds away from bawling her eyes out.

"Mommy please don't cry. I've been crying all week and you'll make me start all over again!"

It's true, Ava and I had moved in 2 weeks ago. When she first introduced herself, I couldn't get over how adorable she was with her blonde curly hair and stunning dark brown eyes that stood out from her pale skin. She was the most bubbly, and sweetest person I had ever met. She had told me a little bit about herself saying that she was on scholarship for the swim team and that she was excited to be living with me. Once her parents left, the poor girl instantly lost all her cheeriness.

She's been sobbing for a week and a half, curled up on my bed in tears with me patting her head telling her that everything would be alright. My heart goes out to her, I meant yes I've cried from missing my family but I have the benefit of home being only 2 hours away while hers is across the country in Montana.

The dorm room we've been assigned to, however, will definitely be molded into the perfect home away from home. We have our own kitchen, two separate rooms with decent closet sizes, and a big bathroom to share. We also have a living space and a balcony. Perks of being student athletes on scholarship.

I pointed towards the bathroom letting her know that I was going to shower real quick. By the time I was done, I saw Ava right where I had expected. Teary-eyed and on my bed.

"Ava, sweetheart, don't start crying again. I don't even think it's humanly possible for you to cry as long as you have." I poorly attempted to joke as I walked to my closet still wrapped up in a towel.

"I know, I know, but I can't stop! Ugh, class starts in 2 days and I don't want to be ugly crying in front of any cute boys!" She cried out throwing her hands up in the air while she laid facing the ceiling and dangling over the edge of the bed.

I chuckled and started to search through my closet for something to wear.

"Maybe I can fix that. How do you feel about going out tonight?"

She rolled over, now dry-eyed, curiously looking at me, "Like to a party?"

I nodded, "My friend's fraternity is throwing a party tonight. But hey, if you don't like parties then we can definitely go somewhere else. I just don't want to see you cry again. I miss that bubbly smile of yours."

"I actually love parties," she mumbled, "but if I get alcohol in my system then I'll just ugly cry all over again." She groaned.

My eyebrows shot up in surprise, I didn't take her as the party type. I decided to give up on trying to find an outfit and sat next to Ava instead.

"Are you usually an emotional drunk?" I asked while I stroked her blonde curls like I've done for the past week and a half.

"No, and that's the problem. This sad Ava will turn into Hulk-smash-party Ava."

I couldn't help but laugh, "I don't even know what that means, but Ava, if you want to party then go all Hulk mode. I don't really drink so I'll take care of you even if you get out of hand."

Her eyes shot up, "Would you actually do that?" I nodded.

"For me?" I nodded again.

Her eyes started to water again, "Oh no. Ava don't cry!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------

After finally getting Ava to stop crying, I decided to do my makeup first. I don't usually wear that much makeup so applied some concealer, mascara, and a bold, dark red lip for a bit of pizazz. Then I went back to my closet search while Ava took a shower. I settled on a simple, pastel pink two-piece outfit and a 3-inch white strappy heel to help my legs look longer while being functional enough for me to walk in with Ava potentially being on my back. Not to toot my own horn, but toot toot bitch. In high school, I struggle with self-confidence even though people always told me I looked good. Everyone has their own insecurities, for me, my thighs were my worst nightmare, and it took me a while to love them. I finally realized that my body was the reward from endless hours of hard work I put into sports. It's my trophy so I flaunt it when I can.