12. 𝙗𝙪𝙧𝙮 𝙢𝙮 𝙡𝙤𝙫𝙚

luke's sight was shielded by the amount of stuffed toys and "get well soon!" cards he had bought from the small gift shop at the corner of the hallway where they waiting room was

luke's sight was shielded by the amount of stuffed toys and "get well soon!" cards he had bought from the small gift shop at the corner of the hallway where they waiting room was. luke had wisely decided to spend the hour or so there, because he truly didnt believe he could spend one more minute in the hard plastic chairs of the waiting room without going a tiny bit insane.

the voices wouldn't give him a break either, and luke was just ready to hear the worst news possible.

in both scenarios, you either get to lose someone, or you get a longer time to stick around with them before you lose them. the loss is inevitable, and as much as luke wished that life would let them be togather, life had been cruel to him and he had learnt not to expect too much.

but then he saw his phone lit up from the table in front of him, and one tiny notification of a text slid in.

ashton's alive.

it was ashton's number. probably his mother who texted him and luke was ever so grateful for her existence.

another text followed a second later, with the number of his room written down on the tiny bubble of grey on his screen. he didn't even take a second to reply before he was swiftly on his feet. luke could already feel the huge smile pulling up his lips, and the lines being etched onto the corner of his eyes.

his boy was alive.

he had been here since yesterday afternoon, where it was now four in the morning and this was the only sort of news had reached him. luke didn't think there was a chance, but it was actually good news.

the next few minutes was a blur, he could just feel arms were shaking intensely, and he could feel the tears burning the edges of his eyes as he made past the mass of people crowded around in hallways, and abandoned carts in front of empty dim lit check up rooms. as he reached the railings, he opted for the staircase; the lift took too long to come around.

he stood in front of room 209 less than 3 minutes later and it was then that panic settled in, and everything was falling back out of place.

he had not even seen the condition that ashton was in but his heartbeat was already accelerating beyond comprehension, and everything felt so much more veridical. it was actually happening, the moment that he stepped in the room and see his boy.

luke was not ready.

he decided to calm down, and let his body fall back into it's natural state before seeing the boy. he knew that this moment was going to be hard on both of them, and he just wanted it to go as easy as it could on both of them.

as luke stood grounded outside, he could hear the muffled conversation that happening on the other side of the dense door.

"mom, i didn't know this was going to happen, i thought i had it under control. i had it under control."

ashton's voice sunk into his ears, evidently distressed. luke could already feel the panic rising from the smaller boy.

anne marie's voice cut in.

"you obviously didn't if you let it get this bad."

luke had no idea what was going on, but the more that luke thought about it, the more fear was burning his veins, so he stepped front, and pushed the door open.

luke wasn't prepared for much, but he most certainly wasn't ready to see his ray of sunshine start sobbing out into the pillow under his chin as soon as he saw that luke was holding onto the door knob.

luke stepped closer to the bed, and he could see ashton's body shaking.

"please, plea-please dont be mad, i meant to tell y-ou. i just though-t you wouldn't wa-want me anymore".

luke could barely make out the words that were coming out of the blonde in front of him, and his voice was drowned out by the waves of the beeping from the small machines behind him, but luke took it by instinct and moved over and hugged the boy as gently as he could, but firm enough to know that he was still here.

ashton pulled him onto the bed, and they both laid there, ashton's wheezy breaths breaking the silence every few minutes. anne marie had left the boys alone as soon as luke stepped in, so it was just the two of them in the cold grim room.

but luke didnt notice his surroundings, his eyes never left the boy in his arms. even then, with dried blood on his nose, the messiest golden curls framing his face and his skin paler than the clouds on the sky, luke thought he was the most prettiest boy. his pretty boy.

luke's eyes slowly caught onto ashton, and right then, the hazel stones that swept over luke's was the most effervescent that they had ever been, and that gave luke the push to know that this boy in front of him was going to be okay.

entagling both of their hands togather, luke motioned for the golden haired boy to sleep.

"promise me you won't leave me."

"i won't, i promise baby boy."