9

After my phone call I headed to Helen and Frank's room to discuss my departure. I knocked on the door being greeted by Frank.

"Hi can we talk?" I asked. Frank motioned for me to come in before closing the door. Helen and Frank sat on their bed hearing what I had to say.

"I know I haven't been the easiest to look after and being that I'm neither of your's child I appreciate you letting me stay with you guys. I, however, called my mom and have decided to move in with her for the remainder of the year in Beijing. I leave tomorrow night" I said

"Oh Laney I love taking care of you. Don't ever think because you're not my child I won't take care of you. I see you just the same as Phoebe and Dylan" Helen said grabbing me in a hug.

"If it's what I said tonight I'm sorry. I didn't mean to come across harsh but we have rules for a reason" Frank said earning him a nasty look from Helen.

"I just think it's best if I go" I said leaving the room and closing the door. The two began to bicker with each other the moment I left.

I felt as though I caused the divide between the two. I was always stumbling into the plans of William, Christina, Dylan and Phoebe.

I walk downstairs to grab a cup of water to see Christina and Phoebe on the couch with William standing next to it.

"Hey how you feeling?" William asked. I turned my head to expose my tear stained cheeks.

"Laney what's wrong?" Phoebe asked.

"I'm ah leaving tomorrow" I said.

"Leaving where?" William and Phoebe asked at the same time.

"Beijing. I'm going to live with my mom. She got promoted big time so it's gonna be for a few months. Plus I don't want to cause anymore more trouble than I have already have been" I said before grabbing a glass and heading upstairs.

"What about us?" William asked.

"This is goodbye. At least you got your plan to work right" I said.
———
It was my last day in New London High for the year. They announced class president and it turned out William won.

As I made my way to the bus I saw everyone congratulating and celebrating William's victory.

"Congrats William" I said giving him a smile. He looked at me with sadness in his eyes. We hopped on the bus. Dylan sat next to me.

"I heard from Phoebe you're leaving us?" He asked.

"Yeah tonight I have a flight to Beijing" I said.

"We never meant to involve you in our plan to break up Frank and my mom" Dylan said

"Yeah well I think it's a little late for that. Plus Frank was pretty okay with me leaving, your mom however took it a lot harder. You'll all be fine without me" I said.

"Hey don't be like that. You have to stay you're apart of the family"

"You can't persuade me. I'm leaving tonight" I said. We pulled up to the house and got off the bus. Everyone was cheering and congratulating William still. Frank comes out the front door wearing his commandant uniform with a suitcase in hand.

"Dad guess what happened" Naoko spoke out

"I want to tell him" Harry said fighting over telling Frank the news.

"Okay listen up guys. I have something important to say" Frank said sternly

"We're leaving" Harry asked

"What, no" Christina said baffled

"Do we have to leave?" Kelly asked

"Look just because you and mom had fight doesn't mean-" Phoebe started but Frank interrupted her.

"It was a big fight. This whole things is our fault. We tried to make all of you live with people you have nothing in common with and that was self centered of us. It was pigheaded and I would like to talk about this more but my ship sails in a half an hour" Frank sorrowfully said.

"Where are you going?" Aldo asked

"I have to visit all the commands on the east coast to prep for my new job. So let's lose the long faces" Frank said dropping his bags and crouching to eye level with Aldo. "If you need anything and that means all of you North kids, and Laney you just call me. I'll be there got it?"

"William you know the routine. Mrs. Munion will bring you down to Washington once I get us set up" Frank said to his son. William looked beyond devastated. I held my elbow looking down at the ground.

Everyone tried to convince Frank not to leave but it was no use. He hopped in the car driving away.

"Your not going to tell him you won class president?" Joni asked.

"It's no use" William said sprinting towards the house. Ethan convinced William to go get Frank back.

"Little kids stay here and wait for mom, big kids come with me" William said.

I continued into the house having to still pack for my flight later tonight.

"You coming?" William asked but I shook my head no.

"Laney please? We all want you stay" Phoebe said

"Phoebe you of all people should know there's no persuading me to stay. My mom thinks this is best for me" I said walking to my room to pack my clothes. A few hours later and I was already for my flight. I dragged my luggage down the stairs to see both the North's and the Beardsley's rejoicing.

As I opened the front door I caught the attention of the blended family.

"My car should be here any minute" I said

"Listen Helen and I talked about it. We would love if you stayed. You're apart of the family" Frank said sincerely

"We all love you Laney" Helen said.

"I would love to stay but my mom is expecting me-"

"Helen and I called her this morning explaining the situation. I think she'll understand" Frank said.

"If you'll let me I'd love to stay" I said. Everyone ran in for a group hug. After we dispersed William took my hand bringing me to the lighthouse.

"So" he said

"So" I repeated.

"Since you're staying I wanted to know if you would officially be my girlfriend?" William asked.

"I'd love to" I said kissing him.