Chapter 4: Ringing ears

"Oi shitty hair what are you doing!? Get over here and eat!" 

    Kirishima smiled and grabbed his lunch, joining his friends at there table. He had been talking to Mydoria about trading some Pro Hero cards after class. Media had his eye on one of his All Might card and was willing to trade Crimson Riot card he found online. 

    "Okay okay, I'm here." He grinned as he plopped down next to his angry blonde friend. 

    "What were you doing with Deku huh? Still geeking out over those stupid cards?"

    "Hey don't act like you don't have the same card sets Bakugo! I've seen your collection."

"Shut up! I don't know what you are talking about!"

"Whatever man. Anyway, I was thinking I was going to go hit the gym before class today wanna come? We could spar a bit if you want."

"Sure and I'll kick your ass! "

Kirishima smiled at his loud friend. Most would think it was a toxic friendship but really Bakugo was the best friend he could ask for. Sure he was a bit intense but it was nice to be around someone so driven. He always had someone to train with and could count on him to watch his back.

                ~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Oi watch it shitty hair!" Bakugo yelled as he dodged a hardened fist.

Kirishima grinned and threw another punch hoping to keep his partner off balance. It worked! One more swing and Bakugo was flat on his back.

"Ha! That's two to two!" Kirishima cheered.

"I know how to count," Bakugo grumbled. " you haven't won yet so don't get cocky!"

" I'm not!" He bent over to offer his fallen friend a hand.

Bakugo slapped his hand away and kicked his feet out from under him. Kirishima yelped and fell on top of the other boy. After a quick wrestling match, Bakugo ended up on top of Kirishima with a smug grin but Kirishima wasn't about to give up.

                  ~~~~~~~~~~

Bakugo didn't understand what happened. One minute they were wrestling and the next Kirishima was screaming in pain.

Bakugo stared at his hands, Kirishima's blood was splattered all over them. He wanted to wash it off but he couldn't move.

They had been wrestling just like they did every day. Kirishma had him pinned down and was waiting for him to tap out, as if that was ever going to happen. He moved his hands up to Kirishima's head, he was going to throw him off balance and get him off. He had done this before many times it wasn't a fancy move. He clapped his hands over the redheads ears hard just like he did to Deku yesterday only this time something happened that he wasn't expecting. Both hands set off explosions. Bakugo hadn't noticed how sweaty his hands had become, he didn't mean to make explosions that close to Kirishima's head. He didn't mean to make his best friend scream in pain. 

Everything blurred together and time seemed to move around him. He didn't remember screaming for help but Recovery girl and Aizawa ran in. The old hag knelt by Kirishima and tried to calm him down so she could see what the problem was. Aizawa pulled Bakugo away so that he could help her move him to the nurse office. He didn't remember following them or when Kirishima stopped crying. All he knew was that his best friend was hurt and it was his fault.

"Kirishima is going to be fine kid. It was an accident. Go hit the showers while he rests then you can come and see him." Aizawa said quietly. "Tell Iida that he won't be in class tomorrow." 

Bakugo nodded silently and went back to the dorms. 

"Kirishima isn't going to be in class tomorrow four eyes. Hes with recovery girl." 

"What? Why is he okay? What happened?" Iida questoned.

"He got hurt." With that Bakugo pushed his was to the showers.

                                                                          ~~~~~~~~~~~ 

Kirishima had been excused from classes for the rest of the week and was on bed rest for the next few days. He couldn't really remember what happened leading up to him waking up in the medical wing of the school with a splitting headache and a loud ringing in his ears. 

At first he thought that it was on of the machines in the room making that awful sound. He tried to call for someone to please turn it off because it was making the throbbing in his head even worse.... but nothing came out of him mouth. He tried again but still no sound came out. Panicked he sat up trying to call out again, but everything spun around him and blurred together, and still no sound came out of his mouth. The ringing was getting worse, it was so bad he didn't notice Aizawa and Recovery Girl run in. He didn't know they could hear him screaming from across the hall or that the rest of his classmates were in the hall listening to the panicked screams he couldn't hear. 

"Kid you have to stop! Let her look at your ears!" Aizawa tired to pry the panicked boys hands of his ears. 

Kirishima just curled up into a ball clawing at his ears trying desperately to get the ringing to stop. He couldn't hear his teacher ordering him to stop. He didn't hear Recovery Girl tell Aizawa to erase his quirk to keep him from tearing off his ears. He didn't hear her tell Aizawa to move so she could put him to sleep. He didn't see the stricken face of his teacher as he lost consciousness. All he saw was the blood on his hands and all he heard was the ringing. 

When he woke up again Recovery Girl was sitting next to him ready to give him something for the pain. She sat with him and explained through a notebook what had happened. That he and Bakugo were sparing and that there was an accident. That Bakugo had set off explosions over his ears by mistake. His hearing would come back and he ringing would stop after some rest and healing. She told him that his friends were all very worried about him and would like to see him as soon as he was feeling up for it. She assured him that while Bakugo was scolded for the accident that they understood that he hadn't meant to and wasn't in a lot of trouble. After that she turned off the lights and told him to get some sleep.

He was happy to see Mydoria Iida and Sero when he woke up next. Recovery Girl limited the amount of people that could see him at a time and chose the calmest of the group in the hall. Iida wrote on the notepad that he would collect all homework assignments for him while he was resting and would be taking notes for him to study as he felt better so he wouldn't fall behind. 

Mydoria told him that Bakugo felt terrible about the whole thing. That he hadn't left his room after his lecture from the teachers about careless quirk use. He promised to help him stay up to speed on what was happening in class and was going to bring him some books to read while he was stuck in bed. 

Sero didn't say or write much while Mydoria and Iida were there. He stood in the back while the others took turns writing him notes. He waited till they had left then sat on the bed next to Kirishima and gently gave him a hug. Both promised not to tell anyone about the tears that they both shead. Sero wrote out how freaked everyone was when they heard him screaming. He told him that he hadn't been that scared since their first villain attack. He told Kirishima not to apologize about it and understood how scary it must have been to wake up unable to hear. He gave him the poorly drawn get well card he Denki and Mina had made for him and another hug before being shoed out by Recovery Girl. 

Kirishima laid against his pillows smiling gently as he read the little get well messages from his class. The only one that hadn't signed was Bakugo. Anxiety bubbled up in him. Was his friend mad at him? He hadn't meant to get hurt and get Bakugo in trouble. He knew he should have been faster. He shouldn't have been caught off guard like that. 

He put down the card on the bedside table and sunk down into bed trying to ignore the ringing in his ears. 

He wished he could go back and just be just a little faster, a little stronger...and a whole lot better. 

(A/N Its been a hot minute hasnt it?! Thank you for reading I hope you enjoy and are staying safe and healthy ! )