14. 𝙗𝙧𝙤𝙠𝙚𝙣 𝙝𝙚𝙖𝙧𝙩𝙚𝙙 𝙡𝙪𝙡𝙡𝙖𝙗𝙮

"there is no cure for lupus

"there is no cure for lupus."

the amber eyed boy was sent home three nights later, with the promise to follow through with hospital visits every week and masses of pills.

luke's stay at the house became routine, and he was almost non-officially living with ashton. it didnt bother either one of them, as it's been around seven months since the sky met the grass in the gems of both their eyes so their pace was steady.

both boys laid on the bed adorned in black sheets, and luke's eyes had not left ashton since he had woken up two hours ago. his fingers were wrapped around the golden threads of ashton's hair, running down the dip of his nose and the pale skin of his eyelids.

his fingers traced lower, down his nose and onto the small tube that slipped down his nasal cavity so that the boy could eat, and the tube of oxygen that slipped over his ears and rested on his top lip.

ashton's vinyl played in the background over the small gasps of his wheezing breaths, often where luke would rub his palm over the boy's chest, soothing him in his sleep.

luke's ears picked up the lyrics, and his ocean eyes slowly filled with water, making sure his boy was still asleep as he let the tears flow down his cheeks. ashton's gone through so much in his life, but luke hadn't found peace in the thought of losing him.

it would be so unfair for the universe to separate them both, and let luke lose his love again, and it would be just as unfair to make ashton spend his whole life in agony.

they were supposed to make it. the future was supposed to be clear have kids and get married. how did this end up happening again?

the last tests proved that ashton's body was shutting down. his lungs were failing, and so was one of kidneys. both of them, concomitantly and all luke could do was hold his screaming boy in his arms and bring bundles and bunches of the most colorful buds of flowers he could, in hopes that ashton would cling onto the small things that were still in his control.

because the flowers made ashton laugh no matter what was going in his small world.

at the chill of the night, luke would leave the unlit house oblivious to the tan boy, and make his way to the overcast graveyard. he would make his way up to the front where his boy lay anchored the roots of the ground, and he would sit there and talk in hushed whispers to michael for hours, crying his eyes out.

because he knew that even when no one else would, michael would always listen.

last night, luke carried out his routine and laid there under the ocean of stars, where he begged michael to please take care of ashton.

then his said goodbye, kissed the stone and left back home.

michael heard him.

but both boys there knew that if anything happens to ashton, michael and luke wouldn't have to wait for too long to be reunited.

both boys knew that it would be soon enough.