THE TEST

CHAPTER 3

The examiner was black. Not to be racist, because the examiner's skin colour was definitely not black. In fact, the examiner was covered with so much dirt and grime that nobody could even guess his race, ethnicity and gender. Thus, it is to be assumed that he is a "he".

The examiner instructed everyone to read the instructions in a flat, non-male/non-female voice. The instructions were like this:

1. Don't panic.

2. Stay calm

3. Stay awake.

4. Collect a pill from the examiner.

5. Choose between black and white.

6. You don't need to be clean.

7. Figure out what 9 is.

9. 

Soon, everyone had queued up in front of the examiner to collect the pills of different colour. Jake looked at the pills. He had gotten one white pill and two black pills.

Something told Jake hat he probably had to choose between the two black pills. He tried rubbing them with his fingers. One rubbed off to reveal white underneath. One didn’t. On instinct, he rubbed them more. The first one that rubbed off revealed small words in print: 9. take the black one.

Jake laughed. He swallowed the only (at least currently) black pill. Instantly, he rose up into the air. The feeling was nothing like he ever felt before. It was as if he was floating in water, but only he was not being pulled up. In fact, Jake could still feel the slight tug of gravity below him. He yelped as he twirled jubilantly. Everyone was staring at him in a mix of awe and jealousy. The examiner looked at him. The examiner said once again in his flat, non-male/non-female voice, "You, floating guy: you pass."

Jake whooped. And fell to the floor. Meanwhile, everyone was chasing the examiner to ask what the heck was going on. Jake decided he should help the examiner escape before he was overwhelmed. Jake shouted, "Yo, pathetic retards!" And gulped.