Prologue

Tidalwave awoke with a start. She heard a series of rapid taps from the egg beside her. She had been assigned to guard Queen Reef's last eggs with her life. The last five eggs had all been cracked by something bearing scorching powers. With a loud crack, the egg fell apart, revealing a small dragonet with huge lavender eyes. The dragonet gazed up at Tidalwave. She seemed to be pure white at first glance, but when she trotted up to Tidalwave, Tidalwave noticed that she was changing colors, like an opal. Tidalwave watched her intently, eyes gleaming like dark pearls. Tidalwave herself was a pale blue, her scales shining in the order of blue, purple, and dark green. Immediately, Tidalwave presented her to the queen. Reef said, Waveheart. Her name will be Waveheart, she will have a pure heart, as pure as the crystal waves that wash up on the seashore, and one day, she will rule her tribe under those very waves. Suddenly, a streak of dark green flashed in front of Queen Reef's eyes, and then the water filled with dark blood. Tidalwave choked out her last words, holding out a Jade bracelet. "Keep this," she gasped, " It will lead to answers." Reef's wail of grief echoed through the dark halls of the Pearl Pavilion.