Chapter 1: Fix A Heart

Selena’s POV:

“Where in the world is it?” I muttered, irritated.

I yawned loudly and stood in front of the mirror. I sighed at what I mess I always made up of myself. My hair, my skin, my eyes. All of it looked like I just woke up from a grave and not my bed. Waving it aside, I thrust my hand around the dressing table again, looking for a comb. My fingers closed around it and I started untangling the nest I called my hair.

After I was done with that, and freshening up, it actually put me in a better mood. I hadn’t been able to figure out how to tie my hair so I just slipped a banana clip over it. I had to remember to change it, though. I walked to the dining room. I glanced at my watch.

“Oh God, it’s so late already?” I gasped.

I gobbled up my breakfast, which was a pity because it was quite delicious. My mom placed it on the table with a sweet ‘There you go.’ She always did that. Or something like that. Sometimes even with a french accent. Now that was funny.

I got up from the table and started out after giving my mom a quick kiss and grabbing my bag. After taking my car keys I walked, or rather ran, outside to the garage. Then it struck me that the car was out front. I swore in my head and walked to the front of the house.

I slipped the keys into the hole and unlocked the doors. I liked to do it the old fashioned way. I sat in the car and drove off to Nadiah’s -my BFF’s - place. I reached in a rush and beeped the horn hard.

“Hey, hey calm down.” she said, walking to the door. “I’m standing right here, not somewhere on the other side of the globe.”

I stuck my tongue out at her as she climbed inside and we both laughed. We drove towards school.

“Should I tell you or not…?” Nadiah muttered.

“How am I supposed to know what you wanna say, you dimwit.” I smirked. She turned to me furiously, pretending obviously. She’s a total drama queen.

“Well I thought it was important since it’s about Chaz but you don’t seem to wanna know.” it was her turn to smirk.

My smile melted away into a dreamy state. Chaz, if you don’t know, is my boyfriend. Yup, the most popular guy in school too.

“Chaz? What about him?” I asked, forgetting to act sarcastic. Whenever it came to him, I seemed to lose my power of thinking. He was the best person ever.

“Well…” she hesitated, trying to make me mad. I gave her the death glare, which finally made her give in.

“He said he had a surprise for m— you.” she stuttered. I laughed at the first part. And smiled at the second. A surprise? Ah, he always did that. Always got me amazing stuff that I loved. Yeah, he was just like that. I got back to teasing her.

“For m—you is it?” I giggled. Her cheeks flushed.

“Er..no, just, for you.” she said weakly. Her eyes said something like he’s-your-boyfriend-Sel-not-mine. Duh.

I nodded, trying not to laugh. Or react in any other way. I tend to seem just a little bit over-possesive at times. Just a bit.

I felt like saying, ‘You can have Justin.’ but of course, that was too mean. Justin was Chaz’s best mate. Both of them roamed around together all the time. But it was fine, he was fine. I guess.

So I just said,  ”Oh, okay. That’s fine then.”

I always knew that she liked him, just a little bit. She tried not to show it. But it was evident. Even Chaz probably knew, maybe even the entire grade. You never knew with Nadiah. I looked away from her, back onto the road. Sometimes, it made did things a little awkward between us.