Chapter 2: Fix A Heart

Justin’s POV:

I walked slowly into school. It was the same everyday, I walked in and the day would only get fun once I was with my friends. Without them, I was a solitary person. Or let’s just say, I like to have some time to myself.

As I entered the gate, I saw Chaz with Jake, Selena and Nadiah. A smile spread across my face and I walked to them. Chaz gave me a fist bump and both of us started talking about the most recent NBA match. Yeah, we’re kinda obsessed with it.

My eyes met Selena’s for a second before she awkwardly looked away. I never got why she did that, though. It’s happened for quite long, but I ignore it. Along with the fact that I was crazily in love with her since the sixth grade. Yeah.

I didn’t want to get my hopes high anyway, making myself believe that she actually did have any kind of feelings, genuine ones, for me. Like the time when she started going out with Chaz. Having your best friend going out with your crush isn’t really the happiest situation to be in.

Selena was always casual around me. We talked and joked, sometimes even picked on Chaz. Basically, we were good friends and she was always being her normal charming self, not really paying that much attention, to my sometimes weird reactions to her, but hey, you can’t blame her. But today was a little different. I could almost feel the nervousness and confusion between us. But I ignored it, like I always did.

 I got back to my professional commentator-voice. From the corner of my eye, I could see Selena and her friend shuffling around and acting awkward.

I turned towards them, trying not to look like I was holding back my laughter,

“Eh…what are you two―?” I started to say, when Selena whirled around and smiled weakly.

“Nothing.” she murmured, so soft I could hardly hear her. “Nothing at all.”

I nodded and turned away, back to Chaz. These two acted so weird sometimes, I swear. Class was about to start, so we walked into the classroom and sat at our places.

We had math during the first period. Which wasn’t a good thing, it bored me to death. I decided to while away my time amusing myself by throwing random things around the class. I know, not the best way to spend time, but I was stuck in there for an hour and anyway, it was better than math. Everything was.

“Mr. Bieber,” I heard the professor call, just as I was about to throw something at the board, “Is there something that you wish to ask?”

“N-nothing sir.” I said, lowering my hand.

Did it have to happen to me? But anyway, there wasn’t a chance that I would actually concentrate in class. So I just continued my little game. I ended up throwing an eraser at Selena.

She turned around to look at me with an indignant face, but I quickly managed to convince her that I wasn’t aiming for her but for Chaz, who was sitting on the desk beside her. And I was, I don’t think I would get her attention on me purposely.

Her anger faded into a smile when I noticed something weird. Her hair was up in a messy bun, not the usual ponytail that hung loose on her shoulder. It was actually looking quite ridiculous. I wondered why I hadn’t noticed it before. Probably because I hadn’t been paying as much attention to her hair as much to her eyes.

“What’s up with the hair?” I mouthed.

Her hand instantly flew up to her head and she closed her eyes, probably cursing herself. She bit her lip to stop herself from swearing and turned back to me with a slight smile.