Chapter One

"Kennedy!"

"Jaymi!"

"Kennedy!"

"Jaymi!" I run into my cousin's arms, ecstatic to see him again after all this time.

"How are ya?!" He exclaims, "How was school? Did you like it? Or are you glad to be outta there? I dunno how you did it for so long. How was everyone? Are you straight or is there something you wanna tell me? Well, come on. Speak up. Tell me everything and don't leave anything out."

"Jaymi, I think a train station will hardly be the place to catch up." I scan his arms for the first time. "Nice tattoos." He must've forgotten his jumper in the car?

"Thanks," he grins childishly. "My fiancé convinced me." We begin walking towards a vending machine. He throws some loose change and retrieves a snack size bag of pretzels and a can of Sprite.

"Jaymi Hensley, you're not engaged so soon are you?" I reach for the salty food.

"You didn't get the invitation at the school?" He made a tsking sound. "I was so sure you had gotten it."

"You must've sent-"

"My nudes."

"So can I meet the unfortunate soul who's marrying you?" I change the subject quickly. The thought of him naked is enough to make me cringe.

"He's at work." He thinks for a moment. "Actually, you're in need of a haircut, so you may get a chance. In fact, when was the last time you did something to it?" He grins, toying with it in his thoughts.

"Leave my hair out of this." I protectively wrap my hands above the tangles created by the hooded sweatshirt. It was my pride and joy.

"But-"

"No."

"Kennedy please. This is a whole new life for you. You're out of school, on your own, and you need to do something."

"That's why nightclubs were created."

"You're not staying with me if you come back pregnant."

"I'd rather be pregnant than chop my hair off."

"We won't do much to it."

"But it's my hair. Do you know how long it's taken me to keep it like this?"

"Just cut it and dye it. You're not doing anything too drastic."

"Hah! I forgot how funny you can be."

"It's the only way you'll meet him." He pulls a puppy dog face.

"Jaymi," I groan, "anything but my hair."

"Do you wanna meet him or not?"

"Yeah, but not if it means losing my hair."

"Kennedyyyyy," he draws out the last letter.

"No."

"Fine," he sighs dramatically. "I guess I'll let you be even though I agreed to put a roof over your head and food in your belly. This is the thanks I get. Oh well." Using one hand, he tugs my roll on backpack that has nothing but uniforms and throws his half-eaten snack. "We're burning this by the way."

We walk to his car slowly. Actually, Jaymi's trudging, trying not to look bothered by the rain...trying to make me feel guilty about my hair. Well it's not going to work. He puts the heater on full blast and plugs his iPhone into a red auxiliary cord. Almost immediately,  Ke$ha's "Your Love is My Drug" fills the space. He then changes it B.o.b's "Airplanes".