Pinches and punches

"Damn. How does she dig that fast? It's her first hole, and she's finished before me!" Muttered Squid to Magnet.

I sauntered to back to camp. I was sweating like a pig, so I headed to the Warden's cabin. I knocked and called "Ma'am? It's McKenna. Can I use the shower?"

The door opened after a few seconds and I smiled at the Warden. "Ma'am, can I use the shower now?"

She actually smiled at me. Wow. Wasn't expecting that.

"Fine by me. The bathrooms are the last room." She turned and handed me a towel. "Don't take too long."

I nodded at her. "I won't. Thank you, Warden."

She seemed surprised for some reason. I guess she didn't expect me to like her. But in my book, anyone that scared Mrs- I mean Mr. Sir, was ok.

_.***.***._ _.***.***._ _.***.***._ _.***.***._ _.***.***._

I walked out of the bathroom ten minutes later. I had damp hair, but I was dry enough to where my jumpsuit wasn't wet.

As I was walking to the tent, Magnet came up to me. "Hey, chica, you should come to the Rec room. All the guys are in there."

I was kind of surprised that he was being nice to me. I figured he would have a little bit of a grudge. I mean, all in one day, I beat his tent leader, finish digging before anyone else, and scored points with the Warden. Then I realized what a bitch I was being. Of course he was being nice. Not all guys are jerks, Evens. A few bad experiences don't define the majority. I shook my head and smiled to myself. Hehe... he probably thinks I'm crazy. "Uh... yeah, sure. Thanks." He grinned lopsidedly at me and sauntered back to a big building which I assumed was the Rec room.

_.***.***._ _.***.***._ _.***.***._ _.***.***._ _.***.***._

After writing a bit in a journal that I promised myself that I'd write in when I ran away, I went to the rec room. Squid and Magnet were playing cards, X-ray, Armpit, and some younger kid were playing pool. My appearance triggered cat calls, whistles and comments. I rolled my eyes, ignoring it for the most part until some kid pinched me. I spun around and punched the asshole. The room went silent after that. I stalked over to the couch, where Zig-zag was.

X-ray and the rest of the guys walked over. "Chica, what did that guy do?" Magnet asked.

I faltered. "He... he pinched me."

They all darkened. I didn't have to clarify.