16. 𝙘𝙞𝙜𝙖𝙧𝙚𝙩𝙩𝙚𝙨 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙜𝙚𝙩𝙖𝙬𝙖𝙮𝙨

5

5. get a tattoo.

luke realized that they were halfway done with the list already, as he read through ashton's messy words scrawled across the folded piece of paper in black ink.

"you already got lots of them, why is this one so special?"

"because this one, i'm getting with you"

and luke can't ever tell his boy no, so that's how luke ended up outside on that very hot evening, hands clasped with the boy next to him as he looked at the tattoo parlour, where the name board had faded and been bleached by the sun. he was still confused about how he was so easy to convince, and now even more scared about how questionable the place was.

nevertheless, the shady circumstances didn't faze the other boy, as he smiled hard for the both of them and pushed the door open to step inside.

luke shivered as he stepped inside into the cold room, their hands unclasping as ashton made his way to the front of the neon lit room.

"hey, mitchy."

the honey haired boy's voice cut through the silence, to the man situated behind the otherwise desolated counter, who had his back towards them. the boy turned, immediately grinning and grabbing ashton's hand in embrance.

"ashton! dude, hey, what do i owe you today?" the dark eyed boy responded, his smile unfaltering as he looked between the two tall figures in front of him.

luke was too busy studying the burly man in front of him to hear ashton respond.

"so, you most be lover boy, eh? he's a stunner, you did yourself well, irwin."

ashton nodded, his eyes softening as he looked over to the younger boy and grabbing luke's hand again. mitch motioned his head back, silently asking them both to follow him to the back before grabbing out a sketchbook and asking them both what they would like inked down.

"i would actually like to suprise luke, if that's okay with him."

then in a whirlwind of confusion, luke had to leave the room till ashton was done getting his ink. ashton's tattoo took around an hour and a half to finish up, and luke was then guided back into into room and on to the low, black leather chair.

honestly, it took luke way too long for him to feel the panic kicking in but it was too late to back out now as the tattoo was already halfway done.

he's getting a tattoo.

for god's sake though, ashton could be tattooing dicks onto his arm.

not that luke would mind. but it would be kind of nice not to lose his dignity.

yet.

when his tattoo was done, luke would have thought that he ran 5k by how hard his heart was hammering from his nerves.

he watched ashton walk over, looping his arms over luke's shoulders, and pulling him up. his fingers then wrapped around luke's eyes, quietly counting to three before lifting his palm up to show luke the small artwork embroidered in ink on the dip of his pale skin of his elbow.

luke cried.

there was a intricate outline of a bunch of gladiolas right below his elbow, on the inside of his arms. the insides of the flowers were done in soft pink, and just like that, luke's ocean eyes were flooded.

"i saw his gravestone. i know those flowers mean alot to you, and i found out that they represent strength and hope. might just need you to carry some for the both of us."

ashtons words sunk down into his heart, and luke brought the boy impossibly closer to himself, sobbing into ashton's navy sweater.

luke then grabbed out ashton's hand, peeling of the bandage and looking at the small cursive "strength & hope" inked down. the tattoos mirrored each other, and luke was so in love.

luke's tears continued, and ashton rocked both their bodies togather, kissing the blonde's curls and holding them both steady togather.

their small time of coddling was cut by the sound of ashton's phone ringing. he pulled it out of his grey washed jeans, pressed onto the speakerphone and waited for them to speak.

"this is grey sloan memorial hospital, am i speaking to ashton irwin?"

ashton almost dropped the phone by how much his hand was shaking. luke reached out and gripped onto his wrist, and answered with a quick yes.

usually, calls like this ensured bad news from tests. ashton was not ready for this day to be ruined so quickly.

"i'm calling to inform you that this evening, an anonymous donor has asked to be your third kidney donor. your name was ready on the organ donation waiting list, so you are asked to make an appointment tommorow for testing, and to talk with your doctor if you are to proceed with the surgery. thank you"

neither of the boys got the chance to answer when both their voices broke down in unremitting sobs.