Preparations for Battle

Knock knock.

          "Come in," Pope Urban called from his seat as a tall male walked in.

          "Good morning," the male respectfully greeted the older. "For what did you call me here for?"

          "Ah, yes. Godfrey of Bouillon, commendable for his leadership skills," the Pope complimented.

          "I'm flattered, but what service do you need from me?" Godfrey of Bouillon asked again.

          "You heard my speech earlier, didn't you?" Urban asked. "I'm sure you know we can't lead ourselves into battle without an army." Pope Urban stood up from his seat and walked to face Godfrey in his eyes. "Which is why I'd like to ask you to lead an army into Jerusalem."

          "That's... a lot," Godfrey hesitated for a moment, "But yes, of course I'll do it."

          "Great! Now-"

          "But I want to ask you," Godfrey interrupted, "Why have you suddenly decided to declare a crusade against the Muslims and Turks?"

          "Alexius, the emperor of the Byzantine, made a special appeal to me. He claimed they needed help regarding Turk invasions," Urban explained.

          "We both know you've had many appeals before, so why are you taking action now?" Godfrey further questioned.

          "Ah, you see," Urban started, "my power has not been the strongest lately. Even among the Christians, we are not unified. So if everyone unites together to take control of Jerusalem once again, my power is reinforced, along with the overall strength of us as Christians."

          "I see," Godfrey replied. "Very well then, I will make it my mission to recruit the best soldiers. What kind of men do you want?"

          "I was hoping for the strongest of our men, but everyone seemed so willing to help God," Urban explained. "At this point it will be best to gather people in quantities, rather than their own individual strength."

          "Very well," Godfrey turned to leave, "I will do my best."

          "Oh, I forgot to mention this earlier," Urban said, stopping Godfrey before leaving. "Your nephew, Abel? He might be a good knight to have in your army, make sure he joins."

          "Of course," Godfrey waved a final goodbye as he left the Pope's room and traveled back to his own house.

          ~

          "Uncle?" A young boy called out as he heard the sound of a closing door. "What did you leave for?"

          "Boy, you ask too many questions," replied Godfrey to the boy. "But I just finished my meeting with the pope, Abel."

          "The pope?" Abel asked. "What did he need from you?"

          Godfrey gave another look to Abel for being nosy, but still complied with his questions.

          "You heard about the crusade the pope pledged, right?" Godfrey asked to which Abel replied with a simple nod. "Well, he asked me to lead an army into it."

          Godfrey quickly turned around upon hearing those words. His masculinity would be threatened.

          "Handle it?" Godfrey boomed. "Of course I can handle it! Pope Urban wouldn't have called me if I couldn't! And by the way, he also wants you to participate in the battle so don't even think of backing out, boy."

          "Wow, he wants me?" Abel stood up and danced. "I'll prove to all of you and God that I'm super strong, okay?"

          "If you say so," Godfrey sighed. " I have to start making loans and collecting money to recruit knights for my army. I'll be back soon so start preparing for training."

          "Wait, uncle!" Abel yelled after Godfrey before he left. "Why are we even fighting anyway?

          "I thought you heard the speech? We're reclaiming the Holy Land against the damned Muslims."

          "Yeah, but why? There's no reason to fight is there?"

          "Oh, boy," Godfrey sighed. "You have a lot to learn."