The Final Farewell

July 14th, 1099 - 

          "Everyone! Wake up!" Godfrey yelled to his army. "The towers were completed last night. It is now time for us to fight our way into Jerusalem!"

          Abel shook off his tiredness and stood alert. Inside, however, he was nauseous once again.

          With the efficiency of Godfrey's army, they penetrated the gate's defense first.

          "Kill any Muslim you see," Godfrey instructed. "This is God's will and it must be done."

          The Christians entered the land with haste. Even with as much effort as they were putting in, skilled Muslims were providing a tough fight. From the fighting crowd, emerged a calm yet strong presence.

          "Are you the leader?" Godfrey stood up against the male.

          "Yes," replied the man. "I am Ṣalaḥ ad-Dīn Yusuf ibn Ayyub. We won't let you take our righteous land! Son, come defeat these barbarians!"

          "Yes, father," a familiar voice stepped out the fight to face Godfrey and Abel.

          Rayan.

          Upon seeing his face, Abel stumbled back in fear.

          "I am Godfrey of Bouillon," replied Godfrey, showing no signs of intimidation, "and I will not let you take what's rightfully ours! Abel, stand your guard and attack!"

          Abel stood there, uncertain of what to do.

          "What are you doing?!" Godfrey exclaimed, seeing Abel's hesitation. "I said attack!"

          "I see what kind of people you are," Ṣalaḥ ad-Dīn chuckled, "weak, unmanly barbarians. Rayan, show them what real strength looks like!"

          "Abel!" Godfrey exclaimed. "Do something!"

          "I can't, uncle!" Abel dropped down and stood on his knees in front of his uncle. "I refuse to hurt my friend."

          Upon these words Rayan looked up and followed Abel's actions.

          "I'm sorry, father," Rayan apologized, "but I cannot hurt this boy."

          "How could you have made friends with the enemy?!" Godfrey enraged.

          "Why did you disobey me like this?!" Ṣalaḥ ad-Dīn yelled.

          "Please don't hurt him, uncle," Abel begged. "We can make peace and live together if we just stop fighting-"

          Stab!

          "I won't let you ruin our mission," Godfrey said, withdrawing his sword from Abel's lifeless body.

          Abel fell to the ground and blood slowly began to spread around his body.

          "No!" Rayan exclaimed rushing to the body, tears rolling down his face.

          Godfrey walked away from the scene and continued fighting elsewhere. Disappointed with his son, Ṣalaḥ ad-Dīn did the same.

           Rayan was left alone with Abel's body. His mind a mess, Rayan rocked back and forth while mumbling apologies to the corpse in his arms. He was filled with extreme guilt. Abel's life would not have been taken if he didn't approach him. He could have lived on. Instead, because of Rayan's selfish desire, Abel now lies lifeless on the blood-soaked ground around him. Finally, Rayan sat up and did the only thing he could do next. He took out his sword.

          Stab.