Chapter 3

I find an open spot on the floor to put my things. I think about what Mara said, about half-bloods being claimed. Exactly how does that happen anyway? I want to be claimed as soon as possible, so I can get out of here. I'm specifically hoping my dad isn't Hermes.

     I have to say, Camp Half Blood is pretty awesome. I found the training arena. So far I've failed at archery and wrestling. The pegasi won't let me get anywhere near them. I'm a little disappointed, the pegasi are beautiful.

     I don't want to sword fight. Swords are just so big, and I'm so tiny. I'm almost a foot below average, and its not fun to be shorter than sixth graders. The bigger opponent almost always has the advantage.  The Apollo campers try to find me a balanced sword, without prevail. Every single one is just too long or too heavy. Never mind using any of them. They make me try out a few anyways, and within thirty seconds of attempting to fight, each sword clatters to the floor, one by one.

     I'm starting to think I don't really belong here after all. Maybe all of this is just a terrible mistake.

     Then my mind shifts to the cyclops, and my stomach ties in a knot.

     As the day goes on, I lose my energy. I'm really hungry. Luckily, when I think I'm going to die of starvation, it's time for dinner. Everyone sacrifices some of their food to the gods. The fire smells amazing, but I wish I knew who I'm sacrificing to.

     That night, I try to sleep over the snores which seems nearly impossible. Eventually I give up and sneak outside. The night air is refreshing and I breathe deeply.

     I sneak into the woods, which probably wasn't the best idea. The forest air is clean and it clears my head, so I sit in a tree for a while thinking to myself. I don't keep track of time and it feels like I was sitting there for just an hour when I see a peak of sunlight.

     Shocked at how quickly the night slipped by, I rush through the trees hoping to get back to the cabins before anybody realizes I was gone.

     Fortunately I'm not tired, although I was awake the whole night. If I could get back soon enough, no one will know anything.

     I slide into my sleeping bag minutes before campers begin waking up. I act as if I was asleep as well, to hide my secret.