SEVENTEEN

SUITED UP, hair braided back, Bronwen walked into the large gathering hall they tested their first 'time machine' in. Tony was somewhere other than at the test, instead, Bruce was once again behind a smaller table with buttons and whatnot on it. Rhodey and Scott followed her out, with Nebula already inside.
She never really enjoyed having conversations with the blue-skinned woman. It always seemed she was... out to get Bronwen.
Bronwen ascended the stairs to the platform, mirrors — or whatever they were — unarranged above her head. Bronwen had a feeling that the platform below her feet would give way for her entrance into the quantum realm.
If Tony was in the room — and thank god he wasn't — he would never allow her to do this test. It was dangerous, she could die, for all she knew she could get stuck in the year they're sending her to.
"Bronwen," Bruce caught her attention, "now you're gonna feel a little discombobulated from the chronoshift. Don't worry about it."

Bronwen nodded. She knew if she asked for a simpler version of what he said, she would be worried.
"Wait- wait a second." Rhodey stepped forward, raising his hands to stop the proceeds so he could talk, "let me ask you something. If we can do this, you know, go back in time, why don't we just find baby Thanos, you know, and..." Rhodey made a hand gesture of strangling baby Thanos with a rope.

Bronwen shuddered.

Bruce was disgusted, "First of all, that's horrible."

Rhodey shrugged, "It's Thanos."

"And secondly, time doesn't work that way. Changing the past doesn't change the future."

Scott spoke up, "Look, we go back, we get the stones before Thanos gets them... Thanos doesn't have the stones. Problem solved."

"That's not how it works." Nebula shook her head.

Bronwen sighed, "This time travel sucks."

Rhodey lifted up his fingers, and counted off them, "Star Trek, Terminator, TimeCop, Time After Time— "

Scott joined in, "Quantum Leap— "

"A Wrinkle in Time, Somewhere in Time— "

"Hot Tub Time Machine— "

"Hot Tub Time Machine. Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. Basically any movie that deals with time travel."

Bruce frowned, "I don't know why everyone believes that, but that isn't true. Think about it: if you travel to the past, the past becomes your future. And your former present becomes the past. Which can't now be changed by your new future..."

Bronwen rubbed her temples, still standing on the platform, muttering, "This is giving me a headache." She looked up, "Back To The Future is a bunch of bullshit, we got it, let's get this done."

Scott and Rhodey quieted down, allowing Bruce to step forward to his controls. "Alright, Bronwen. We're going in three... two... one..."

Bronwen pressed the button to activate the helmet, the platform underneath her opened up to reds and oranges — quite like an engine of a plane firing up. She pressed the button to make herself shrink, and was sucked into the Quantum Realm.
The colours were all a blur before Bronwen appeared again, her helmet retracting immediately. She was in an alley, midday.
Her heart was racing, and she recognised where she was. Rubbish was littered along the ground, and with quick deduction Bronwen located the fire escape.
She raced up it, taking the steps two at a time, and opened the window to a particular apartment.
She could hear his voice.
She called out, picking up the Spider-Man mask that was discarded underneath his bed.
"Peter!"

The device around her hand began to beep, and her heart lurched. She only had a few seconds left.
Bronwen rushed to the door, threw it open, and stepped into the lounge room of the apartment. She grinned when she saw Peter lounging on the couch, "Peter!"