Chapter 4 "Wink"

I begin to walk over to the guy. Of course he spots me out of this huge crowd and returns my stare, making full eye contact. Even with a few feet separating us I can still see how blue his eyes are. Drawing me in like waves of the an ocean.

I keep making my way through the crowd until I finally get over to him. He stands up and walks over to me, "hey!" He yells so I can hear him over the music.

"Hey," I say back to him and give him a flirty smile, "did I see you yesterday? At that one party?"

"Yeah, I could never forget a pretty face, especially when it was the most exciting thing there," I blush and look down.

"Yeah it was pretty boring," I say and he gets a good laugh out of it.

"I'm Colby by the way." I look back up and study him. He does look like a Colby.

"I'm Laura." He smiles at me and I take a sip of my drink.

"Hey, how old are you?" He asked me in a joking tone so all I do is put a finger to my lips and shush him.

"Don't reveal my secrets!" I say as quietly as I can in this kind of environment.

He just laughs at me and gives me the same smile that I adored on him yesterday, "uh-uh-uh" He grabs the drink from my hand and puts it on a coffee table "let's try to not make Elton a felon."

I shake my head with a smirk, "is Elton that one guy with a beard that was running around?"

"Yeah! He was supposed to warn everyone coming in not to get him arrested!"

"Oh- he did tell me and my friend that," I reassure him.

"Well someone," specifically meaning me "doesn't know how to follow directions!" We both laugh,

"He's not arrested yet is he?" I say back in a sassy tone.

"The cops could come any second from just a noise complaint so we try to be careful." I nod in understanding.

"Have you come to a lot of parties here?" I'm just curious, not planning if I need more invites to this place.

"Well actually I live here." My jaw dropped and I didn't think I meant it literally until Colby started laughing, "is it that surprising?"

"You live in this huge house- no mansion!?" Honestly I'm impressed and he could definitely tell.

"Well I'm not alone," he starts to explain his living conditions, "a few friends live here also with me. We share the rent so it makes it a lot easier."

"How are you guys able to afford this?" I look again into his blue eyes.

"We're all on YouTube actually. We have quite a few followers and it just kinda worked out." He scratched the back of his neck trying to be modest as you can be in this conversation. I could tell he was feeling uncomfortable so I decided I'd change the subject.

But I felt a bit of anxiety and a craving so I grabbed my novo from my back pocket and looked to Colby, "do you care if I use it?" And I shake my device in front of him.

"Not at all actually," He turns around and picks up something from where he was sitting, "I vape too sometimes."

"You have a whole mod and everything" I said teasing his vaping abilities.

"Well I mean it may not be as pretty as your novo but I definitely get better clouds." He clapped back immediately. This is my kind of guy.

A few minutes later a guy walks up to Colby and I. He was a lot taller than me with dark hair on the sides and colored on top. "Hey Colby" he dragged out the 'Y' in his name, "Who's this."

"Hey Jake," Colby starts, "This is Laura." Jake looks towards me and smiles.

I smile Back and say, "Hey" his eyes scan me up and down. Colby notices and slightly elbows him in the arm.

"Ow" Jake over reacts on purpose but made it more funny than annoying, "hey can I hit that?" I thought he was talking to Colby again but he was looking at my novo.

"Oh," I hand it to him "yeah sure"

He takes a huge hit and gives it back to me, "thanks I'll see you around?"

"Yeah of course," he winks at me before walking away.

"Do you wanna maybe go somewhere a little more private?" Colby asked and I blushed, "I mean! Just so we can talk somewhere more quiet."

"Yeah sure!" I agree and Colby grabs my hand and leads me up stairs into a room.

The room has a bed, couch, and sticky notes all over the wall, "nice wallpaper." I laugh under my breath.

"Yeah one of my friends pranked me and decided to cover my room in sticky notes."

"Well it looks great!" I say sarcastically and we laugh together before getting settled on his couch.

"So tell me about yourself" I look up at Colby.

"What about me do you wanna know?" I say with a smile.

"Well for one, why are you out here in LA?" He seemed genuinely interested in what I was gonna say.

"Well I actually came out here for school." I felt very proud to have that answer instead of something basic or unrealistic.

"Really?" He seemed intrigued.

"You're not the only one with a surprising life I guess." He smirks at my answer and continues,

"Where do you go to school?"

"I go to the university of Southern California. I'm getting my major in journalism."

"That's actually really cool, what kind of job do you want?"

"I was thinking maybe working on the news but if I'm being honest I'm not too sure. There's a lot of paths I could take." With every word out of my mouth he seemed to be more and more focused on what I said, "Well what about you?"

"What about me?" He asked.

"Why did you come out to LA?" I want to know more about him before he can get me to spill my whole life story. Cause he could make me if he wanted me to. 100%

"Well mine isn't as formal a reason as yours," we laugh a bit for that, "but me and my best friend, Sam who also happens to live here, did vines together back when it was still alive. We got a decent following and when we graduated high school we left Kansas and moved here to become Youtubers. Not as good as your story but I'll think it was a close second."

"It definitely is," I got a phone vibration saying I had a text message.

Frankie- Where are you? Dom and I are ready to leave

Laura- okay coming

"Hey I'm really sorry but I have to go, my friends wanna leave." I stand up to go.

"Wait um," he stops me before I could leave, "could I maybe have your number or Instagram or something? I'd love to meet up with you sometime."

I smile at him, "yeah of course," he smiled back at me as I gave him my number, "see you some other time I guess?"

"Yes, for sure!" He walked me back downstairs where my friends were being very impatient until Frankie realized who I was with.

"Laura, lets go!" She runs to grab my arm, "we have a lot to talk about!" Then drags me with her to the car.