Chapter 1

Maya

I stood in the airport bathroom adjusting my dress.

"I should have worn jeans or pants . . . I didn't know Michigan was going to be so cold," I sighed digging in my carry-on bag for my sweater to pull on over my sundress.

The dress was simple. It was a black cotton sundress, that hugged my chest and abdomen but loosened at my waist making it easy for the wind to catch it and freeze my legs. My toes were frozen in my little black flats and my arms were covered in goosebumps.

"We haven't even gone outside yet. And you should have known . . . I warned you," Nala sighed as she fixed her hair and make-up. She was smartly dressed in jeans and a plain, black, long-sleeve V-neck. She also had a black leather jacket in her carry-on bag. "Who wears a dress to Michigan in late October?" She scoffed.

"People who leave from Arizona in late October," I scowled at her as I pulled my grey sweater over my shoulders. "Can you help tie this?" I turned my back to her. The sweater crisscrossed in the front and then tied in the back.

"Yeah," She sighed and moved to tie the sweater.

"Nala, why are you wearing heels?" I asked, noticing her shoes for the first time today. I had been sort of zoned out all day, with the packing, the flight and . . . everything.

"They're boots, Maya," She sighed, rolling her eyes at my tone

"Boots with three-inch stiletto heels," I pointed out and turned to face her, "Seems slightly inappropriate for traveling."

"It completes the outfit," She smirked, flowing her arms down her body in a gesture to her outfit.

I rolled my eyes and looked at myself in the mirror, fixing my hair again.

"You look fine, Maya," She wrapped her arm around my waist and met my eyes in the mirror.

I sighed and continued to try and fix my bright red hair, making sure my curls hadn't gone completely flat, I turned my back to the mirror look over my shoulder to check the back of my hair. Even with the curls it still went to my lower back

"Your butt looks great in that dress stop worrying," Nala smirked at me, giving me a wink of her cat-like green eyes.

I gave her a look and then turned back to the mirror wishing my blue-gray eyes were as bright as her green, "I am not checking out my butt and you know it," I rolled my eyes at her.

"Still true," She shrugged, "Your hair looks fine too," She pushed.

"That's easy for you to say your curls are gorgeous!" I pouted at her, trying to fluff up my roots a little to give it more volume.

"Your hair is curly," She brushed a bit of my hair over to the front of my shoulder, "You the one who chooses to tame those curls into these barely-there ringlets."

"That's because my curls are ridiculous," I sighed, still picking at my hair. "Too wild . . ."

"Oh, stop it already," She shook her head at me, "You're beautiful and you know it," She turned to finish applying her dark-nude lipstick to her full lips.

"I do not know it," I mumbled fixing my dress again.

She just gave me a look, and then went back to touching up her lipstick.

"I wish I had your confidence. That's what has the males chasing after you," I pointed out, meeting her eyes in the mirror. She rolled them again and then stood straight putting her lipstick away.

"You have males chasing after you too. You just don't realize it because you are too busy acting like you are in a committed relationship," She wrapped her arm around my waist, pulling me against her side.