[8] ~ [ The Games ]

I avoided Thomas as much as I could. Considering he's my doctor and is supposed to be with me everyday, I think I did pretty well. So when I was waking to the cafeteria (they trusted me enough to go by myself), I almost jumped out of my skin when I felt his minty cold breath on my neck, making me shiver violently in delight.

"Are you avoiding me?" He said with a smirk on his face.

I smiled weakly when I said, "N-no."

Damn. I stuttered.

I blushed and started to walk away. That was until I tripped over my own clumsy feet. I gasped as a pair of arms wrapped their way around my hips, as if an attempt to stop me from falling, which it did.

"Why did you do that?" I asked stupidly.

He shrugged and said, "I promised you protection, right?"

Before I could stop myself, I had already said, "Well that job has failed."

His expression was in agony and I instantly felt bad. This was the only way.

"Never again." Was all he said and stalked off in the opposite direction.

I sighed. This was the only way, I repeated in my head.

When I got in the cafeteria I got in line and got my food.  I was on my way to one of the lunch tables when I heard a voice behind me.

"Hey! I heard your that new girl! Your 14, right?" Said an excited voice from behind me.

I whirled around to see a girl who look about 17 with pixie blonde hair and electric blue eyes. She was beautiful. I nodded weakly and smiled up at her.

"Hey- Um. Do you wanna sit with me?" She asked nervously looking at the floor.

"Sure!" I spoke. 

Her eyes brightened and she looked like she was about to start doing a happy dance.

When we got to the table there was another girl there. The first thing I noticed was how small she was. Not small as in height. I meant the weight. It was as if something had sucked all the fat from her body leaving her with just her bones. She looked up when she heard the chair screeching across the floor and narrowed her eyes.

"What is this?" She asked.

"Natalie, be nice!" The first girl warned.

Natalie sighed angrily, got up from her chair and stalked off.

"Did I do something wrong?" I felt bad.

"No... That's just her. On my first day she told me 'go cut yourself' when I asked her to sit with me.

"Oh. Okay. Hey! I didn't catch your name?" I asked.

"Oh, right! Sorry. I'm Florence. I don't need to ask who you are." I was confused.

"What? Why not?" I asked and understanding flashed in her eyes.

"Everyone's talking about you." Florence said.

"What are they saying?" I was curious.

She shrugged but I could tell she knew. I was slightly offended that she didn't tell me but I let it slide.

"Are you coming to games night tonight?" I was once again confused.

She must have seen the confusion on my face because she then said, "Mr. Smith-"

"You mean Thomas." I said before thinking.

She smirked and said, "Yeah. Anyway, every Saturday he sneaks us into the back yard and we play such fun games!"

I could see the excitment gleaming in her eyes. 

"So, are you gonna come?" This time it was hope glinting in her eyes.

"Uh- sure!" I said hesitantly.

She squealed and said, "Great oh my this will be so much fun!"

Gosh. She reminds me of how I used to be.