six

Louis' heart is pounding as he knocks on the open door of his coach's office. "Coach? Can I talk to you?"

Coach Corden looks up at Louis surprisedly before smiling. "Of course, Tomlinson," He says, not sensing Louis' nervousness. Louis comes in and sits down in a chair across from Coach Corden's desk. "What's up, lad?"

"Um," Louis inhales sharply. He doesn't know if he can do this. He leans back and closes the door to his coach's office from where he's sitting, making Coach Corden furrow his eyebrows. He then folds his hands in his lap. "Coach, I-I'm quitting the team. I'm sorry."

"What?" Coach Corden asks. "Tomlinson, why would you quit?"

"I, um," Louis clears his throat. He can feel it, the knot forming inside his throat. "I have lung cancer, sir. I-I can't play anymore. I'm sorry."

Coach Corden's face falls. Louis bites his bottom lip. "I'm really sorry to hear that, son," Louis smiles at him wearily. "We'll miss you on the team, lad."

"Thank you, Coach," Louis nods.

"And if you need anything, you know where to find me," Coach continues. Louis' smile widens. "Do you want me to tell the team for you?"

"Tell them I have cancer?" Louis twists his mouth. "Um, I-I guess so. Think I kind of owe them an explanation as to why I'm leaving."

"Sure," Coach Corden nods. "We'll miss you, Tomlinson."

"I'll miss playing for you, Coach," Louis stands up from his chair and shakes Coach Corden's hand. "Thank you for understanding."

"Of course," Coach Corden gives him a small smile. Louis smiles back before walking out of the small office, seeing Harry waiting for him at the end of the athletic corridor.

"Hey," Louis says as he approaches Harry, leaning down and pecking his lips.

"Hi," Harry smiles wearily. "How was it?"

"Shitty," Louis twists his mouth. "I felt really shitty, I mean. Coach is going to tell the team about the cancer and everything."

"Oh," Harry nods. Louis shrugs, and he takes Harry's hand as they walk towards the door. "Well, hey, I have an appointment next week. Do you want to come?"

"Of course I want to come," Louis says. He holds the door open for Harry as they walk out of the school. "Are we going to your house?"

"Unless you don't want to," Harry says, reaching into his pocket for his keys. "We're taking a nap, wherever we go."

"Your bed is better," Louis decides.

"Think that's what got us in trouble in the first place," Harry looks down at his stomach. Louis lets out a laugh before wrapping his arm around Harry's shoulders and kissing the top of his head. God, he loves his boy.

Harry drives them to his house, and Louis can't help but exhale in relief when he sees that Anne isn't home. As soon as they get inside Harry leads Louis to his room, kicking off his Vans and dropping his rucksack on the floor.

"Nap with me," Harry huffs, flopping down onto his bed. Louis follows suit, wrapping his arms around Harry and holding him tight. They get under the covers, Harry clinging onto Louis as Louis kisses his forehead. Harry looks up at him. "There's a baby inside of me."

"Oh really?" Louis raises his eyebrows.

"It's just weird to think about," Harry admits. "That's a lot of responsibility for one person."

"Yeah," Louis agrees. "But you got this, kid."

"I like when you call me kid," Harry giggles. Louis smiles fondly, kissing Harry's forehead again.