Chapter 1

I was walking back to my car quickly, my heart beating fast. I had to get out of there, and fast.

My boyfriend at the time, Chris, came home drunk. Again. For about the 3rd time that week. He had been drinking with his friends and when he was drunk, he got violent.

"What the FUCK are you doing?" he slurred as he stumbled through the front door of our apartment.

"Chris..." I said as I slowly rose from the couch. I already knew where this was going.

"This house is a fucking wreck... And you're sitting there doing nothing? You're such a lazy bitch," he spat at me, his words stinging like salt in an open wound. I blinked away my tears as I walked around the very, very clean room that I had spent hours cleaning that day and grabbed my purse and my phone charger as he staggered down the hallway and slammed the bathroom door shut. I silently ran to our room to grab a few pairs of jeans, underwear, bras and t shirts and stuffed them in my large bag. I tucked my hair behind my ear and slid my sandals on, and I heard the bathroom door open again and my heart stopped beating. He stood there in the doorway, his mouth open and his eyes slit.

"What are you doing?" he said quietly, looking at my purse in my hand and the shoes on my feet. He shut his mouth and slowly started to walk towards me.

"Are you going somewhere?" he said louder, grabbing an empty Coke bottle off of my desk and slamming it against the white wall. I flinched and backed away from him.

"You're not going anywhere!" he shouted, charging at me. I yelped and ducked out of his way and watched him slam against the wall. I ran out of the room and shut the door, and stumbled out of the house.

I sat in my red Jeep reflecting on the event that just occurred, tears dropping on my dark jeans. I pulled out my iPhone and went to the M's and held the phone up to my ear with a trembling hand.

"Hello?" a deep voice said.

"Hey," I said shakily as I held the phone to my head with my elbow as I started my car. "Do you mind if I come over for a little?" I sniffled as I pulled out of my parking space in the dark apartment parking lot.

"Yeah, that's fine," Michael Clifford said with concern in his voice. "You okay?"

"No, no I'm not.. at all.. Chris did it again." Tears spilled down my face as I sped towards the highway.

"God dammit... That piece of shit never quits," he said under his breath. "Yeah, come over and stay the night for a few days. We're all on break so we'll all be here." I heard him whisper something to someone in the background.

"Thank you," I said, sobbing into the phone. I pressed the red end button and locked my phone. I sped down the highway and arrived at the house at around 1:46 AM.

The house was so beautiful, both on the outside and the in. The outside had a perfectly manicured lawn with beautiful marble stepstones leading up to the front door. The driveway was a smooth black asphalt and the garage, which could hold four cars, was a perfect white. The front porch had two matte black chairs and a little black table with a Rolling Stone magazine on it. I grabbed my purse and my phone, and checked my reflection in the rearview mirror. Eyeliner ran down my face and streaked my foundation. I wiped it off the best I could and got out of the car and walked up to the door. Before I could even ring the doorbell the door flew open and four boys ran out and attacked me with hugs.

"WE LOVE YOU SO MUCH, HE'S SUCH AN ASSHOLE WE LOVE YOU WE LOVE YOU," erupted from them as they smothered me in hugs. I giggled as they dragged me inside the house.

We walked from the front hallway to the beautiful kitchen, and I sat my purse down on the marble countertop and plopped myself into a wooden swivel chair with black armrests that sat at the main table. I rubbed my eyes and looked down as a tan arm sat a glass of water down in front of me. I looked up and saw Calum's cute puppy eyes standing over me. He leaned down and wrapped his bare muscular arms around my shoulders and I breathed in the scent of an amazing cologne as my head rested in his neck. He drew back and they all pulled chairs up around me.