Chapter 1: A Pool of Sunshine

Perhaps I would have enjoyed the thrill of riding down a waterfall if it weren't for that ride stealing me from my family, me getting partially smashed by a log on one side and smacked by the lake's surface on the other, or having my nose fall dead-center into an anthill upon swimming to solid ground, of ALL THINGS.

Yelping, I jumped up with the force of a wolf about to collapse right into that very anthill, shaking off most of the clinging fire-ants. I retreated back into the water, dunking my snout into it, hoping to drown the stragglers.

I did not sign up for this. I didn't. All I wanted was to catch a fish with my sister. Why did this have to go so wrong?

The fiery sensation left behind by the bugs cooled off unusually well. When I surfaced, I felt . . . well. I didn't feel exhausted anymore?

"Huh?" I turned around, looking at the falls, the clear, clean blue sparkling of the water, the mist spraying at the base of the waterfall, the sort of lively glow that surrounded the place. I wasn't sure why, but it seemed like the lake was blessed by the spirits, full of energy and rejuvenation.

Who knew that crazy stream would lead here? It seems . . . peaceful.

I took a few more steps into the water, fully turned towards the lake. I wanted to . . . just swim right into it. I wanted to swim forever.

"You know . . ." I murmured while water washed over my chest, covered my chin, the edges of my lips, "it'd be nice to live here . . . with . . . e-ever-everyo—"

"No! Get back!" a strange, high-pitched cry startled out from behind. "What are you doing? I said get back!"

I ignored her, the top of my head disappearing into the lake. It was fine. I could breathe underwater, right? Every wolf could.

A violent tug on the skin of my neck pulled me out of the water, my lungs screaming as soon as air was introduced back into them. I hissed and gasped, body going limp with the motherly grasp on my scruff.

Her teeth dropped me gently on the ground a ways away, but I could see the anger creasing her face. She was a darkly colored wolf, her fur nearly black unlike my gray fur, with a few scars lining the tips of her ears and pelt. Her eyes were a light yellow, almost pretty if not for the suspicion boring into me. This was a wolf different from any I have ever seen.

I haven't seen any wolves apart from my family . . . but she gave off a vibe that I couldn't understand, like how I imagined lions in the stories. Fierce. Something no one really knew until it bit them.

"Uh . . . um, thank you?"

"You're a pup," the stranger growled. "What's a pup doing here without his mother?"

"Er . . . she . . ." I began, but her poised haunches and tail made me stop. Can I dare to trust her?

"She what?"

This wolf saved my life. Why am I hesitating? Maybe she can help me get home. And . . . I don't really want to find out what might happen if I lie to her. "I fell in. The river. During the storm. She was . . . separated from me."

The midnight she-wolf grunted. "Fell in, huh. You stink of river fish."

My stars, thank you. Great welcome. I sniffed, feeling smaller in my skin. No level of sarcasm would get my dread to go away. In fact, I was pretty sure she had heard my inner retort and was about to snap my ears of in repayment. I'd believe it.

"Alright. Runt, do you know who I am?"

"N-no . . .?"

Her eyes narrowed. She smiled without amusement, revealing her long, sharp fangs. "Do you know where you are?"