Six

Maya was sent to Europe, specifically the shores of England, where she was needed most. Not only are American men injured, but also Europeans who need to be taken care of. Maya knew the dangers, yet she couldn't just sit at home and wait.

It's been about three months since she first arrived. It was tough at first, she didn't expect to see blown up men that once were abled in every way.

Yet, seeing all this, the same thing kept popping up in her mind, Lucas.

The man who left her for fighting, the man who stole her heart. It was hard enough not knowing what could be happening to him, now she has to see first hand the possibilities. It was something that almost made her lose her mind.

But she knew she had to be strong, just like Lucas. Even though she couldn't physically see him, she knew he was thinking the same thing.

Things aren't as bad as they were. When Maya first arrived, she knew nobody. Now, she had a couple new friends. Lisa and Nina, they were there from America too. Lisa came because her father had forced her to (sounds like someone Maya knows...). While Nina came on her own free will, wanting to become a powerful and independent woman her mother was. Lisa is taller with medium curly black hair, almost ghostly skin. Nina is the complete opposite, she's shorter and thicker. Her hair is the color of fire, with freckles all over her face.

The three women clung onto each other since they knew they were all they had.

///

Men were coming into the hospital from every direction. Apparently there was a mass casualty that was sending all these wounded sliders here.

Maya was giving directions, not knowing what exactly to do. She hasn't been a nurse that long, but everyone else was either helping men to their beds or helping the men once they were in their beds.

"Alright, the more serious head straight to the doctors towards the left. Less injured, please stay outside while the nurses check up on you to assess you!" Maya shouted, making sure everyone heard her. Luckily, they did.

Now that the majority of the soldiers were placed properly, Maya got to actually seeing some of them. She moved around the grassy area outside because that's where she was needed.

Some men only had scrapes, while others suffered from wounds like deeply lodged shrapnel.

Maya was assessing a man with a badly infected cut when someone approached her and tapped her on the shoulder.

"I'll be with you in one moment sir. I'm already with someone." she politely stated.

"Yes, that I can clearly see, but I was thinking I could be of some help, seeing that there are at least seven more men for you alone." that voice, that voice Maya knew, that voice Maya adored.

She slowly turned around, believing it was all fake. He wasn't really here, he was in the trenches fighting, he's gone.

Finally making the 180 turn, Maya was still looking at the ground, unsure of what to do. Her eyes were closed from fear that her mind was playing games with her.

"Nurse, I'm asking for some work. Could you help both me and you and give..." the man slowly stopped what he was saying once he realized who he was talking to.

Taking his finger under her chin to lift her head, the soldier's eyes deepened. "Maya, what are you doing here?"

"You can help me by checking out the man sitting against the tree." Maya answered finally.

Both of them expected a bigger reaction. Something like her running into his arms and him kissing her lips like it was his air. But she couldn't, she had a job to do.

"Maya, look at me at least." He begged because Maya's eyes had yet to connect with his, her eyes were still shut tight.

"I can't, I can't, I can't!" she announced.

"Tell me why?"

"Because I'm scared you're not really here." the blonde answered truthfully.

"If I wasn't here," he paused moving his hands from her chin to her cheeks, "could I do this?"

That's when it happened, that's when she knew he was there, when he kissed he with all the passion in the world.