Chapter One

Lezra stepped out of the plane. A duffle bag in hand and a backpack on her shoulders. In those bags was just about everything she owned. Her throat felt tight as she looked around the Reykjavik airport. She was alone, but that was how she wanted it. Leaving the airport, the cold air hit her hard. She pulled the sleeves of her thin sweater over hands before getting into the car that she had arranged to wait for her.

She directed the driver to a small house on a hill. Far away enough from the people on the island, but close enough to where she could get back to town in a short time. She paid the driver and stepped out of the car and toward the house. She unlocked the door and stepped in. She had been making the arrangements for her life here for five years and now the time was here. She saved every penny she received, for years. It was enough to start a life far away from everything she had known and that was all she cared about.

She set the bags down on the dusty floor and looked around. It was a small house, but it was enough for her.

It was hours later, and she was sitting by the fire when a knock sounded at the door. Standing, she brushed some dust off her pants and walked to the door. She pulled it open to reveal a very tall and very broad man. She pulled the sleeves over her hands again and looked up at him.

"Can I help you, sir?"

He made a noise in the back of his throat that sounded almost like a growl, before speaking "The names Kilían. I live just down the road"

"Alright...did you need something or?"

"Just wanted to meet the new neighbor. We don't get many new people coming to stay extensively here. Especially not such pretty little things from the America's."

"Um, thanks..."

"How long will you be staying?"

"Forever."

"Forever?"

"That's what I said."

"Hm. Interesting. I don't think I caught your name."

"I never told you."

He lifted a brow, prompting her to continue. "It's Lezra."

Kilían reached forward and tucked a piece of blonde hair behind her ear, and rested his hand on the side of her neck. "A lovely name for a lovely girl. Welcome." With that, he turned and left, walking down the road to where she presumed he lived.

She shook her head, confused by the encounter. She came to the realization that she had neglected to bring food. Tomorrow, her truck will arrive from Nevada and she'll be able to get around more freely. Until then, she'll just have to wait.

She had just laid down when there was yet another knock on the door. Groaning, she stood and opened the door. There stood a girl a few inches shorter than herself, and perhaps a few years younger as well. In her hands was a brown paper bag.

"Hi! You must be Lezra. I'm Annabella. Kilían sent me. You must be starving after such a long flight. I brought you food." She shoved the bag into Lezra's hands with a bright smile.

"I'm sorry what?"

"I brought you some bread and cheese and some smoked meats and I even brought you some wine," she says, then whispers, "don't tell Kilían about that last bit."

"Uh, thanks?"
"Kilían was right, you are really pretty. You'd be a great addition to the family. But you do kinda seem like a lone wolf..."
"Uh..."
"Right, well I better get going. Don't want papa bear Kilían to rip my head off if I'm not home before dark. Nice meeting you Lezra! See you around" with that Annabella walked away, the same direction that Kilían had gone.
"What the fuck."