― 21. symphony ball

THE STANLEY H

THE STANLEY H. Kaplan Penthouse sits overlooking the Lincoln Center courtyard and the theatre building itself. It's an intimate space with wraparound glass windows and balcony. Its decor is chic and modern, but light and airy against the night sky. Big round tables are spread throughout with red runners and high flowered center pieces. A stage is seen at the front of the room with a grand piano, and stage lights on the ceiling focus is there. The aura that fills the room is one that resembles high society, a stuffiness against the golden music that resonates throughout the dinner reception.

Alone on the stage with red and white lighting behind her, a cellist who is playing the beautiful the Cello Sonata No. 1. The chords were striking and the melody written by Brahms was gorgeous sounding throughout the hall.

John watches Kaitlyn with intensity, observing her every move with sharp loving eyes. She plays with the same graceful movement and love that made her stand out to him the night he saw her— and no matter how many times he hears her play it's like the first time. He could watch her play her solo for hours if time permitted him to. She's still the epitome of talent itself, and surely everyone in the room is falling for her just like he did. He's so proud of her, his heart bubbling with affection and happiness.

Soon her piece ends and everyone erupts into applause. She stands and takes a bashful bow, and makes her way off the tiny stage. Kaitlyn immediately rushes to put her loved cello away so she could get back to John and eat. However plenty of people have other ideas, already stopping her to mingle. Plenty of eyes are on her cute form, with so many more congratulating her.

His eyes still haven't left her and they're the most important ones too, making sure nothing happens, as unreasonable as that is. If John could have it his way he'd follow her everywhere, be right in line with every step she took. All he cares about is being by Kaitlyn's side knowing she's within arm reach- safe and his. He's possessive. He knows it, she knows it.

"Hey there," Kaitlyn beams at John as she finally gets to the table he's seated at. She lets out a jokingly tired huff as he stands up to meet her.

John embraces her and presses a polite kiss to her cheek, "you were amazing, as always." he pulls out a chair for her so she can sit.

"Great job Katie, always so impressed," Lauren says, as she's sitting at the same table as them. Her boyfriend looks lost in his phone at the moment."

"Thank you," she says, watching as John takes a seat besides her, but moves the chair closer. There's absolutely no space between them, it makes her roll her eyes. He still has the hardest time being away from her, "I hope the food isn't cold, salty they served it while I was on stage."