9

Shutting the front door behind her, she grabbed the keys from her bag, locking it.

Despite her first destination, the rest of her day leading up to the afternoon was filled with running errands. Catering to a group of 17 men was not easy.

Astrid had searched up what was required of her to nurse a group of guys, and according to Google, an abundance of food was an unquestionable 'must-have.'

She figured the rest would be manageable as it lay within the realm of entertainment, and the gender neutral cave would take care of that.

She made her way to her Audi, getting in and tossing her wallet and phone onto the passenger seat, before reversing out of the driveway.

She drove carefully as to not miss a turn as she listened to 'car Siri's' instructions on how to arrive at her destination: the Intensive Care Post Trauma unit of the Rhode Island Hospital.

The specific unit of the hospital was quite pricey by regular fiscal terms, but both Addison and Astrid had decided this unit would be most beneficial to her— money hadn't proved to be an issue.

Astrid reached the visitors lot, driving forward into an available space, parking the car and getting out.

She hurriedly walked across the lot, approaching the doors to the building. Pulling out her wallet, she took out the card they'd handed her upon her admission into the hospital, and swiped it, opening the door.

She made her way to reception, ensuring she was breathing evenly, before clearing her throat.

"Hi. I'm here for Everly Koslova?"

The receptionist looked up, her face overtaking an expression of pity. "Of course darling, relation to the patient?"

"She's my mother," she answered unevenly.

The receptionist nodded, having expected it, but had to question her by procedural requirements. Poor girl, she thought. She typed in Koslova receiving the updated room number.

"Room 7B, upon request to relocate."

Astrid nodded— she'd asked for her room to shift up three floors— remembering her mother had always liked heights.

"Thank you," she replied, making her way to the elevators.

The ride up was quite short— a few seconds really, but to Astrid it felt like several long minutes.

The sound of the elevator having reached its stop alerted her from her self induced anxiety haze. The distinct ding had her come to her senses, and she stepped out of the elevator, beginning to read the signs on the doors in the hall.

7A... 7A2...7A3...7B, she spotted the door further down the hall. Taking slow steps towards it, she took deep breaths.

As she approached the door, she swiped her card along the slot on the side, watching it unlock and swing open automated.

Her eyes roamed around the room— taking in the large size, windows paneling the walls, greenery and views outside the window— before focusing on the bed to the centre left of the space.

She felt her chest ache as she saw her mother's immobile body. She was covered in sheets, only visible from her arms and upwards. Her face was pale, lacking the melanin it used to carry. Her soft blush no longer present, in its place sunken cheeks and dark circles.

Her once voluminous and dark hair appeared flat and dead— like a wig that didn't belong to her.

She saw the various tubes and needles connected her mothers arms, the veins now more prominent.