A Different Type of Present - Part 1

It was just another boring day at Camp Campbell.

"Ooh another mail day, I wonder what gift I am going to get off of my Parents." Max made a sarcastic remark.

"Oh come on Max! I'm sure you're gonna get something different this Time!" David Said, Ruffling Max's hair as he walked by "Come on campers! Let's go to the mess hall to get our Presents!"

Everyone went to the mess hall and sat down. Everything went as usual, NERF got a knife, Neil got a science kit, and Nerris got a (much higher quality) hat and cloak. It was Max's turn.

"Oh boy I wonder what it's going to-huh?!" Max said confused.

A letter had been placed Infront of him. Only a letter. No blue hoodie wrapped up in cheap brown paper anywhere in sight. But this one seemed different. The letter seemed official, pure white paper envelope and a red wax seal with the police department logo on it.

"What the fuck?" Max questioned.

He opened the Letter and read it. He just stared at it for a while, not knowing how to react, when David came over to him.

"See Max! I knew you would get something different!" He said happily.

Max just put down the letter on the table and left with an expression on his face like he was just told the true meaning of life, like he was questioning his whole existence.

"Hmm..." David Sighed and walked over to Max.

"What's the matter? I thought you wanted to get a different gift?" David questioned Max

"Not.. that.." Max pointed backwards to the opened letter on the table.

David went over to the letter and read it.

Dear Maximilian
We would not like to be the bearers of bad news, but your father and mother, Garry and Kate Khatri, have sadly died in a terrible car crash, we have been informed that you are staying at a summer camp for a couple of months, so when you come out of camp you will be put up for adoption and have to move back to India to live in an orphanage.

Our Condolences, APD.

"Oh my gosh!" David went over to Max "Max.. I am so sorry-" David tried to place a hand on Max's shoulder but he shrugged it off.

"Go away David.."

"I'm just trying to help, Do you want to talk about it in priva-"

"I SAID GO AWAY DAVID!" Max ran away into his tent and sat in the corner.

After a couple of hours passed and David started to get worried, he started rambling on about it to Gwen

"His Parents are dead! we have no Emergency contacts, or any contacts for that matter! And he has to move back to India to-"

"to be put in an orphanage, yeah, yeah, you told me about 50 times already!" Gwen interrupted. "Look, I know it's terrible, but at least he is going to a better hom-"

"But what if he doesn't! What if he finds a worse family?! What if he never finds a family?! What if-"

"- if you are so worried about him, then why don't you adopt him?!" Gwen quickly covered up her mouth

David just stood there staring at her, both in shock and lost in a train of thought. David had always wanted a child to call his own, but could never find love. That's why he was so happy and enthusiastic when Bonquisha came into his life, and so sad when Bonquisha broke up with him.

"I-I didn't mean it!" Gwen Said Anxiously.

"While the prospect of adopting Max sounds amazing! I don't think that he would approve of it.. he hates me.."

"W-wait, your seriously considering this?!"

"Yes. Of course, why wouldn't I be?"

"BECAUSE HE'S A LITTLE PIECE OF- *sigh* you know what? I don't care! You go and do whatever. I'm going to bed"