Chapter Six: Finally

It all felt the same; the wind that hits on my back and the sensation of falling. Only, there were a few things that became different, like the fear, it was missing, I didn’t even felt a little bit scared of whether I get saved or just dies tonight it doesn’t matter. I realized there would be no one who’d miss me in this world anyway if I die.

        But then when I opened my eyes, it all looked different. All I could see now was the sky and the stars like I’ve just been placed in a different spot without me really knowing, and then the falling, it felt the same but I am very certain that everything, including me, are all moving slow like Cronus from the Greek gods have just decided to control time at this moment. But then of course, I knew it was not any gods from Greek or Hebrew that did this, for finally I could see him, he was right there, falling straight above me from the sky. And as fast as you’d know it he was already holding me by the waist and the next thing I knew we were just suddenly in front of my house already, standing safe and close to each other.

                        “I knew you’d come. I didn’t felt scared just like you’ve said, ‘cause I know you’d come. And you really did.”

                I hugged him then, without even thinking about it for a second. I just simply did. Because I missed him so much and that it’s all that I wanted to do at the moment.

                For a while, he didn’t hug me back. He just held my waist the way he did when we came there. He was just silent and wasn’t even moving an inch. I tightened my arms around him so he’d somehow feel my pain because I really badly wanted him to hug me back. I waited further until finally after a few more seconds, he at last, tightened his arms around me too. I breathed deeply and just started crying then losing all my controls towards my emotions.

                “Where have you been? I was already dying down here not knowing what was really happening. What’s going on? Please tell me.”

        What surprised me was that I thought I almost felt him flinch and make a sound of being hurt like a physical part of him was in pain. So I loosened my arms around him and for the first time after months and had a closer look on his face. He was just looking downwards so I had to lift his head up just so I could see his eyes. And just like how it always serves its purpose, it told me the truth that he really was in some kind of pain.

                “What’s the matter? Tell me; are you in some kind of pain? Do you have a wound?”

                “No.”

                 “Don’t lie to me anymore please."

        Now it surprised me even more when suddenly he sounded like he was crying and I felt him that he was just terribly shaking, like he was scared of something that he can’t tell whether he has to let me know or not. Then finally he spoke to me again.

                “This would be the last time that I’d see you like this again, I’ve broken enough rules already.”

                “What do you mean?”

                “Supposedly you should have died tonight already, because you don’t have any wishes left for the day to ask me to save you. You’ve already used the allotted five for forbidden wishes so in any matter I shouldn’t have saved you.”

                “But you did. So you have to take over my place. You have to die in replacement of me is that it?”

                “No, I just have to be in pain in replacement of you, for who knows how long, I haven’t done this before.” He laughed a little after he said this. It was as if he was even happy to have the pain he has right now.

                “But why didn’t you just tell me you can’t come anymore when you last showed up to me. You know that I’d understand right? I just needed enough explanations.”

                “I didn’t know that would be the last time I’d be able to show up to you. I didn’t know there would be some changes up there and that I won’t be able to escape that easy anymore. I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have shown myself to you in the first place. I shouldn’t have really tried to do what I wanted, I shouldn’t have really…” He paused a little. ”…fallen for you and had this killing desire to see you up close and to be with you even just for a little while. Now you’re getting hurt too and I also get so scared you might do something like this again and I won’t be able to save you anymore.”

        I didn’t know what to say about all this. It just shocks me and makes me totally speechless. I do understand everything he has just said but it all just simply is too heavy to bear. Yet I just listened to him as he continued.

                “But at second thought, I don’t feel any regrets about it at all, because at least now I’ll have something as beautiful as this to carry and remember up there for the rest of my forever.”

                “Azillous.”

                “Just promise me you won’t do this again to yourself and that you’ll always be careful from now on. I know you do understand it now the way I do that there is really no way for us to be together. But at least we had each other for a while and that we had a little piece of what we call our forever. I love you but I have to go now. Though this would be the last time you’ll see me always remember that I’ll always be just up there to watch over you. I’m not the end of your life you see, I’m just the beginning. I know that you’ll be happy one way or the other. And I’ll make sure that you will be.”

        Then he held my face with his gentle hands and gave me the most heart-warming kiss he ever gave me. I just closed my eyes then wishing he would slow down the time once again.

                “I love you.” I told him.

                “I will always be the same star that fell and falls for you forever. Be happy.”

        Then he was gone. When I opened my eyes I was lying on the ground again the way he always leaves me. Now, though he didn’t really explained it, I fully understand why he does that every time, because somehow he’s hoping that I’d believe he was just all a dream that I wanted to have each night. And I do understand too that I have to believe it that way now. The star above my head now twinkles like no other. It was as if it’s telling me that it’s alright, he is alright.

        Slowly a smile grew on my face then I whispered.

                 “Best dream ever.”

        And from then on, I just felt as happy as I’ve never been before.